SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Web site issues / improvements?
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 11 September 2004 18:52:24
While SixXS web pages seem to be very good already, some minor issues have caught my attention from time to time. Thinking more of it, if any of you have noticed other problems with the site, maybe we ought to collect some constructive critique in this thread? For starters, on the use of images on the site:
- GIFs - I'd guess http://burnallgifs.org/ says enough. - Image resizing: Web browsers really suck when it comes to resizing images. In addition sending higher resolution than what will be shown is waste of bandwidth. - Opaqueness - for example some of the logos on the main page have white background that looks rather silly when it appears over the SixXS background texture. Could use some alpha channel there... - Screenshots (AICCU, etc): JPEGs tend to be bigger than PNGs when used for screenshots. Additionally PNGs would have much better image quality. ,,/ (o/ (/ /
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 13 September 2004 11:08:53
First line on your dull religious site: "GIFs are now patent-free", thus what is the issue? For the rest upgrade your connectivity or turn off images in your browser. We can't really be bothered by a few kb's more or less, next to that there are a number of browsers, older IE's for instance, which don't support PNG's. And indeed we know that PNG is a great format, don't worry ;) As for the opaqueness, the logo's where provided by the ISP's and actually if they did have a opaque background the background would go through it and mess up the logo.
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 September 2004 00:51:53
Could somebody enlighten me 'bout any single IE version that supports IPv6 and doesn't support PNG at all? (yes, I'm aware that even 5.x+ have problems with non-binary transparency, but beyond that?)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 15 September 2004 08:44:39
It is a website, not a site made with a "Best viewed with Turbobrowser 1.x" and we don't like singling out people. It should be accessible for the world. In your above you assume that it has IPv6, thus should we then remove IPv4 connectivity to the site too ? Hmmm wait we can't do that now can we, this site is there so people can get IPv6 connectivity in the first place. Next to that every IE below XP SP1 doesn't support IPv6, thus there are a LOT of those. For arguments sake, according to the weblogs (awstats ole) we have hits from at least, for this month): MSIE 6.0, 5.5, 5.23, 5.22, 5.17, 5.15, 5.01, 5.00, 5.0, 4.01, 4.0 Netscape 7.2, 7.1, 7.02, 7.02, 7.0, 6.0, 5.0, 4.8, 4.79, 4.78, 4.77, 4.76, 4.7, 4.5, 4.0, 3.01, 1.7 And then various sorts of Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon, Safari, Firebird, Multizilla, Links, Lynx, w3m, Camino, StarOffice, Dillo, Nokia Browser Do you really think everything in that above list understands PNG? I am quite confident that they understand the standard called GIF though.
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 September 2004 20:51:30
Heh, of course there're browsers that don't support PNG. According to http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html three oldest of the netscape versions you mentioned have no support. And at least two of the listed ones have refused to show gif's for me btw. :9- Sadly the multiple-format compatibility thing known as <object> is not too much of use because ie screws it up totally. The browser was supposed to use best format it could from the object choices available but ie didn't implement that at first, iirc it popped up an annoying save-as dialog instead :-/ P.S. for whatever it's worth, using IPv6 to access this forum gives me over 4x better responsiviness. I'd guess that's because the tunnel endpoint POP has far better connectivity than my ISP towards noc.sixxs.net... correct?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 16 September 2004 08:52:31
P.S. for whatever it's worth, using IPv6 to access this forum gives me over 4x
better responsiviness. I'd guess that's because the tunnel endpoint POP has far
better connectivity than my ISP towards noc.sixxs.net... correct?
Compare traceroutes in IPv4 and IPv6, this could show a difference maybe, but it should not matter much. It is probably more the time of day and the load on the central machine.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker