SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

"Call your ISP for IPv6" and Technopark Zurich
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 01 May 2016 06:24:52
Will you re-open registrations and allow creation of new tunnels? At my new work place, a young start-up company, I am not overly keen on helping out with a tunnel/route of my private account. Also, I will have to re-number once you accept new registrations and provide new tunnels. In Technopark Zurich, we call it "Retropark", there is still no cost-effective option for a start-up to get IPv6 connectivity, even though two or three major IXPs are very close. The in-house Internet Service Provider says he only received two requests for IPv6 over the past seven years. Thus, he has not even any plan to introduce IPv6 yet. Surprisingly, other ISP have no POP in this Techopark. Further, the city/public works is unable to provide a date when they can make fiber available to this large building complex which houses many companies. This prevents ISPs such as Init7 to offer decent Internet connectivity...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 03 May 2016 08:33:28
Will you re-open registrations and allow creation of new tunnels?
See the news page.
At my new work place, a young start-up company, I am not overly keen on helping out with a tunnel/route of my private account. Also, I will have to re-number once you accept new registrations and provide new tunnels.
Or you could find a REAL ISP that actually will guarantee you connectivity. SixXS does not provide you with any kind of guarantees.
In Technopark Zurich, we call it "Retropark", there is still no cost-effective option for a start-up to get IPv6 connectivity, even though two or three major IXPs are very close.
I think what you mean with "cost effective" is "free". Somebody needs to pay for connectivity... As an example Swisscom delivers connectivity in the whole country and they deliver IPv6 also. Indeed, you actually need to pay for the better service that Swisscom delivers. You could also see it differently: if the available ISPs do not provide the requirements that you have, you might have a business case. Offer to share a pooled fiber connection with other startups in your building, you might be able to work something out.
The in-house Internet Service Provider says he only received two requests for IPv6 over the past seven years. Thus, he has not even any plan to introduce IPv6 yet.
Keep on asking. They should have known this for 20 years. There have been multiple "Swiss IPv6 Forum" events over the years in that building and many other "conferences" where IPv6 was the major topic. They thus should have seen multiple presentations over the last decade or so where people told them to get IPv6....
Further, the city/public works is unable to provide a date when they can make fiber available to this large building complex which houses many companies.
Sounds more that you need to find another place to work from as they clearly have no interest in new technologies. More positive: please send an email to info@sixxs.net, we might be able to arrange something different, SixXS is mostly a Swiss thing anyway ;)
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 08 May 2016 13:21:11
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Or you could find a REAL ISP that actually will guarantee you connectivity.
Not so simple, as apparently other companies also had to find out before as well which are located in the same campus.
SixXS does not provide you with any kind of guarantees.
Won't need any guarantees at this stage, but simply some IPv6 connectivity, with any MTU, etc.
I think what you mean with "cost effective" is "free". Somebody needs to pay for connectivity...
Our company pays the resident ISP, and not too little for an SLA that is not exactly exceptional by today's standards...
Sounds more that you need to find another place to work from as they clearly have no interest in new technologies.
Not before the lease expires by the end of this year, but we need to test prototypes with IPv6 earlier...
More positive: ...
We just started, and have not given up yet, something is in the works :-)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker