SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Netflix thinks, I'm in the Netherlands
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 09 December 2015 22:28:48
Hi all. I'm using Netflix with Chromecast and Android (IPv6) as well as a Playstation 3 (IPv4). This worked fine for the last few month. Since today evening, Netflix thinks, my IPv6 connections are coming from the Netherlands and only offer Dutch and/or English for audio and subtitles, while on IPv4 german/swiss german audio and subtitles are available. I already had a nice chat with someone from Netflix support and they confirmed that my streams were coming from Switzerland and the Netherlands. As POP I'm using chzrh02 (Init 7) and my local provider is UPC Cablecom. I'm a bit lost here. I wonder how Netflix all of a sudden thinks my IPv6 range is in the Netherlands? Plus, since this is a range from Init7, I would think that at least some or all of their customers using Netflix have the same issues? What should I do?
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 09 December 2015 22:36:25
Martin Ebnoether wrote:
I'm a bit lost here. I wonder how Netflix all of a sudden thinks my IPv6 range is in the Netherlands? Plus, since this is a range from Init7, I would think that at least some or all of their customers using Netflix have the same issues?
Just asked a friend in the IRC if he could check this and he confirmed the same behaviour. He is also using Sixxs chrzh02 POP.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 10 December 2015 09:09:36
That is because Netflix sucks. I have no other word for it. They also think that uschi02 is located in Switzerland because of the WHOIS record in ARIN, even though that fully is located in ARIN address space etc. They just see the 'tech admin' set to Switzerland and thus are 'oh that is Swiss'. Why they think that Init7 is a Dutch provider, makes no sense at all; tons of fibre connections in that same prefix. Now if they would mark the UPC prefixes as Dutch or Austrian... it is all magic what they do at Netflix, and from previous poking they do not want to fix the problem unfortunately. See also our FAQ item on geolocation for the magic involved. In the end, it is a Netflix issue. They apparently want you to disable IPv6 for devices that do Netflix.
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 December 2015 10:11:07
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Why they think that Init7 is a Dutch provider, makes no sense at all; tons of fibre connections in that same prefix. Now if they would mark the UPC prefixes as Dutch or Austrian... it is all magic what they do at Netflix, and from previous poking they do not want to fix the problem unfortunately. In the end, it is a Netflix issue. They apparently want you to disable IPv6 for devices that do Netflix.
Apparently, they fixed it. Probably a few customers from Init 7 complained at Netflix too. This geoblocking nonsense will hopefully stop in 2017, according to some recent news article I read. 20 Minuten Artikel betreffend Geoblocking Ende im 2017

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker