SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 10 August 2004 14:19:45
I get that message every second. Googling for it returned very little information. Some people got it because of a b0rken firewall configuration, but I am not running iptables on my machine. If someone has an idea of the direction in which I should search, it would be very helpful. The host in question is a Debian server with a tunnel to a Sixxs POP. radvd is configured and running on the machine - apparently runnning correctly if I believe the output of radvdump. I gave the eth0 interface a static ipv6 address from the subnet also allocated by Sixxs. The Sixxs tunnel is working fine and I can surf IPv6 servers. I have not yet thoroughly tested the LAN side, but early tests hint that it is not working properly and I wager that the "icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error" has something to do with that. Thanks in advance for any hints : the lack of available information on the Web troubles me.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 10 August 2004 17:39:17
Hi, where do you find that errormessage? In syslog, on the console? And do you have an idea who is issuing the message? The kernel, radvd, whatever? Which kernelversion are you using? The radvd does the routing advertising stuff via icmpv6 so probably there is the problem. How does your radvd.conf look like? Alex.
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 August 2004 11:29:44
where do you find that errormessage? In syslog, on the console?
And do you have an idea who is issuing the message?
The kernel, radvd, whatever?
The message is found in syslog and it is issued by the kernel : Aug 12 11:23:25 kivu kernel: icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error The most striking detail is that there is one message every second...
Which kernelversion are you using?
Stock Linux kernel 2.4.26
The radvd does the routing advertising stuff via icmpv6 so
probably there is the problem. How does your radvd.conf look like?
My radvd.conf contains the following data : #----Begin radvd.conf------------------------- interface eth0 { AdvSendAdvert on; prefix 2001:6f8:12ce:1::/64 { AdvAutonomous on; AdvOnLink on; AdvRouterAddr on; }; }; #----End radvd.conf--------------------------- 2001:6f8:12ce::/48 is the subnet issued to me by Sixxs and I statically assigned 2001:6f8:12ce:1::1 as the address of the eth0 interface.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 13 August 2004 01:22:28
OK, this is a pure Linux kernel issue. I had a look at the sources of the kernel and in file net/ipv6/icmp.c are the following lines:
/* * Never answer to a ICMP packet. */ if (is_ineligible(skb)) { if (net_ratelimit()) printk(KERN_DEBUG "icmpv6_send: no reply to icmp error\n"); return; }
The function is_ineligible() itself carries the comment:
* We do not reply, if: * - it was icmp error message. * - it is truncated, so that it is known, that protocol is ICMPV6 * (i.e. in the middle of some exthdr)
I would suggest: * either exclude kernel debug messages from beeing logged in /etc/syslogd.conf or * comment out the if and printk, but keep the return, then recompile your kernel. Maybe future versions of the 2.4 line remove that message. But it's a debug message (highest level of verbosity) so if you don't like it, remove it from the code or reconfigure your syslog-daemon. Hope that helps, good luck! Alex. P.S.: It does not look like a harmful message to me. It's just annoying.
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 13 August 2004 10:56:55
I had a look at the sources of the kernel and in file
net/ipv6/icmp.c are the following lines [..]
Silly me : I should have thought about grepping the kernel source for the error message. Use the source Luke !
* either exclude kernel debug messages from beeing logged in
/etc/syslogd.conf
or
* comment out the if and printk, but keep the return, then recompile
your kernel.
I'm not responsible for kernel maintainance on that machine, so I guess I'll look into syslog configuration. Thank you very much for your help !

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker