SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Youtube block due to large volume of requests
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 02 July 2015 15:08:39
Hi There, We use a SixXS tunnel at work, with around 5 guys not all full time. We also regularly watch a YouTube video. Multiple times a day, however, we get the message:
Sorry for the interruption. We have been receiving a large volume of requests from your network. To continue with your YouTube experience, please fill out the form below.
(It then shows a check-box you'll have to tick, stating "I'm not a robot".) You would say, that even if all of us watches YouTube videos all day round, we wouldn't even be able to generate that high volume... Is it possible someone else is (mis)using our tunnel/subnet? I already changed the password for the account. Or is YouTube particularly unreasonable about the amount of traffic allowed over IPv6? Kind Regards, Matthias Hogerheijde
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 02 July 2015 15:55:08
You'll need to ask Google most of these questions as they know the details why they think you (or something else) is doing something wrong according to their reasoning.
Is it possible someone else is (mis)using our tunnel/subnet?
Tunnels are end-to-end. That will be trickier to abuse (and why would they bother with IPv6 then anyway). It might be that you have a host in your network that is causing requests of course, verify with tcpdump what hosts are doing or better always have netflow/sflow running.
I already changed the password for the account.
If you think your account is compromised, why did you not contact info@sixxs.net about this?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 03 July 2015 10:17:33
Thanks for your quick reply Jeroen Massar wrote:
You'll need to ask Google most of these questions as they know the details why they think you (or something else) is doing something wrong according to their reasoning.
I was afraid that would be the case. Just covering my bases and check if this was a known issue :-)
> Is it possible someone else is (mis)using our tunnel/subnet? Tunnels are end-to-end. That will be trickier to abuse (and why would they bother with IPv6 then anyway). It might be that you have a host in your network that is causing requests of course, verify with tcpdump what hosts are doing or better always have netflow/sflow running.
I figured as much, I'll look into our router to see if/how it will be able to do this.
> I already changed the password for the account. If you think your account is compromised, why did you not contact info@sixxs.net about this?
Didn't really think it was compromised, it was kind of a double-check to see if the traffic would stop after changing the password, if so,.. I would've suspected either a compromise, or a misconfigured sever on my end. Although, if I understand correctly, the subnet is only used over 1 tunnel for which only 1 connection can exist,.. right? I did change the tunnel from AYIYA to 6in4 static and the problem has arisen since.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 03 July 2015 10:24:22
Although, if I understand correctly, the subnet is only used over 1 tunnel for which only 1 connection can exist,.. right?
IP addresses are unique; unless somebody flips the tunnel-endpoint or BGP around a lot and that would be noticed by endusers and hosts as wrong packets would get delivered.
I did change the tunnel from AYIYA to 6in4 static and the problem has arisen since.
They don't care about tunnel type, why would they. For Google it is also quite hard to automatically determine if a tunnel is AYIYA based or 6in4. Though they could ask WHOIS if they really wanted, but that is all ratelimited. But they would not bother with that as it does not give them anything they need to know.
Youtube block due to large volume of requests Private
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 18 July 2015 11:45:03
Matthias Hogerheijde wrote:
I was afraid that would be the case. Just covering my bases and check if this was a known issue :-)
Hi Matthias, Were you able to resolve this with Google? I'm experiencing the same issues from one of my tunnels. I tried to monitor my traffic over the last days and there was no unexplainable egress traffic to youtube. with kind regards, Joffrey van Wageningen
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 20 July 2015 16:59:50
Joffrey van Wageningen wrote:
Matthias Hogerheijde wrote:
Hi Matthias, Were you able to resolve this with Google? I'm experiencing the same issues from one of my tunnels. I tried to monitor my traffic over the last days and there was no unexplainable egress traffic to youtube. with kind regards, Joffrey van Wageningen
I've got the same problem over mine and so has another friend using sixxs, which gives me a strange feeling google has blocked a rather large range..
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 July 2015 11:53:37
I also have this problem.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 01 August 2015 12:26:10
Same issue here. It started occurring around the same time as OP.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 29 August 2015 21:02:27
I'm experiencing the same since I switched on my SIXXS tunnel again this week. YouTube constantly gives captchas, and the Youtube APIs give HTTP 402 (Payment required). My subnet had no activity in the past 6 months, so I'm guessing some user did something very bad, so large part of SIXXS address space was marked as malicious by YouTube. The iPad app doesn't have the problem. Another workaround can be to use youtube-dl -4 to download a video over IPv4.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 03 September 2015 01:17:49
Walter Hop wrote:
I'm experiencing the same since I switched on my SIXXS tunnel again this week.
I am curious if you are all using the same PoP? Could it be something related to a particular PoP and a behaviour of their network? I ask, since I notice you are all in the Netherlands. Joroen: is this something you can validate and test against?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 September 2015 21:40:52
Andre-John Mas wrote:
I am curious if you are all using the same PoP? Could it be something related to a particular PoP and a behaviour of their network? I ask, since I notice you are all in the Netherlands. Joroen: is this something you can validate and test against?
Same here, using nlhaa01
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 13 September 2015 13:07:56
Please understand that we hold no power over a multi-billion dollar company. We are just running SixXS for the fun of it, as a little hobby. We are not a massive ISP with hundreds of thousands of customers, thus have no users or legal power to do anything about a third party service. If Google or any other third party service makes a decision to block you they will block, nothing anybody can do about. We have already asked using private favors to resolve this. Unfortunately nothing is happening even though we know that some parts of the company is using: Geofeeds (a Google format) and Prefixes and we register all prefixes in RIPE. There is really nothing more we can do to explain to them where users are and which prefixes they use. Like you we cannot do anything further either. They are the service you have to complain to, as they are blocking you. We have done as good as everything we can do to resolve this, there is nothing else we can do. Changing PoPs will just mean that PoP gets blocked too if their algorithms are made like the way they are and thus would just mean other users not having access. That does not resolve any problem at all as it will block another PoP and keep the old PoP useless as it will remain on the blacklist too.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 November 2015 16:18:50
I'm on the nlhaa01 PoP too. Had no other choice but to disable my tunnel, in order to get Chromecast and Youtube to work properly.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 05 November 2015 21:28:25
Hi, Same problem here (for weeks or even months now) with my home network with aiccu sixxs tunnel + radvd daemon for my own ipv6 subnet. To please others in my household I'll now have to disable radvd in order for them to be able to use Youtube. Thanks for documenting it here, a shame Google seems incapable to detect between subnets with abuse, and subnets without abuse. On the other hand, maybe it will motivate me more to switch to an internet provider with native ip6 support. Regards, Johannes
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 November 2015 20:33:07
Same problem here. I have a tunnel on the NLHAA01. When I disable ipv6 there's no problem, but with ipv6 enabled all my hosts will get the "I'm not a robot" captcha.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 November 2015 13:51:27
Well, probably unnecessary to confirm since there are many reports, but I've also got the problem on nlhaa01. Why is Google blocking such a large range instead of just individual /64? Unfortunately I had to set a lower precedence for the whole 2a00:1450::/32 subnet to fix this, so no Google services are being accessed over IPv6. I understand this isn't the fault of SixXS, just wondering why this is happening.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 13 November 2015 15:02:31
Thr NLHAA01 is provided by LeaseWeb, probably one of the biggest malware hosters in (at least) the Netherlands. I can understand why this is being "blocked" by Google/Youtube. LeaseWeb has 2 subnets for subnets: 2001:1af8:fe00::/40 2001:1af8:ff00::/40 Maybe there's a difference between the 2 subnets? Mine comes from the FE00 subnet.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 20 November 2015 13:26:15
I've reported the issue to LeaseWeb and they are in contact with Google. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 25 January 2016 22:39:40
Hi, this problem still exist, very annoying.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 26 January 2016 17:40:37
I can also confirm this issue. A workaround for me is to reject/drop traffic to 2a00:1450::0/32. Webbrowsers fallback to ipv4. First visits are a bit slower. $IPT6 -A FORWARD -d 2a00:1450::0/32 -j REJECT -m comment --comment "Block IPv6 to Google" $IPT6 -A FORWARD -s 2a00:1450::0/32 -j REJECT -m comment --comment "Block IPv6 from Google" All other traffic keeps going over IPv6. Can anyone confirm that the other NL PoPs do not have this problem? I consider requesting a new pop/tunnel and subnet.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker