SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Public IPv6 DNS resolvers
[lk] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 25 February 2010 11:38:58
Hi, Is there public IPv6 DNS chacheing servers ? . Such as IPv4 DNS 4.2.2.2 Thx Randil
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 25 February 2010 14:49:31
Recursive DNS Cache Service <-- Only for SixXS prefixes, thus not truly public, but they do provide you with Google and Wikipedia IPv6 ;)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 27 February 2010 23:39:50
Another anycasted one is provided by HE.net: 2001:470:20::2
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 28 February 2010 13:59:34
Which violates the terms under which Google is whitelisting DNS servers: local users only. Next to it returning the wrong answers as those hosts live in a certain location and based on that location Google will return the 'closest' answer, thus you might up getting Google.US instead of Google.Europe which will slow down your experience too... Then again, if people actually use these kind of DNS servers they should be more than aware of the side-effects. Amongst others that when you have tunneled connectivity that there is quite an issue when you restart your host and you thus don't have DNS until your tunnel works (which in the case of AYIYA means, you won't get it working as tic.sixxs.net does not exist as you don't have DNS...)
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 04 March 2010 13:52:36
I maintain a fairly lengthy list of v4/v6 dns caches at http://www.chaz6.com/files/resolv.conf
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 04 March 2010 13:54:11
(Fixed that for you, including the spello) The question though is: what is the point of using some remote DNS service with whom you do not have a direct relationship!? Especially in the light of the fact that installing a BIND9 or pdns-recursor any other such tool is dead easy, especially if you already are in the position of even coming to the conclusion that you need another one than provided by your ISP...
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 15 March 2010 22:30:53
Thanks! I do prefer using a local resolver personally, but there is one advantage of a heavily-utilized remote one - speed. That sounds counter-intuitive, but with more people using it, there is more chance of a record you want being in its cache saving a recursive lookup. Running namebench showed that the remote ones often outperformed my local cache because of that.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 15 March 2010 22:37:16
With TTL's generally being low, and with this thing called Geo-DNS, I don't think that DNS resolving time will increase sooo much www.google.com ;; Query time: 31 msec and note: www.google.com. 133370 IN CNAME www.l.google.com. www.l.google.com. 186 IN A 209.85.135.104 186 seconds is gone out of the cache very quickly. www.microsoft.com ;; Query time: 17 msec www.google.com again: ;; Query time: 1 msec Now it is locally cached indeed. But do you really notice 31msec? (which basically is the round trip time from my DSL link to google's nameservers, and really not much more than that) Getting it anywhere else (well google public DNS is pretty fast, as that one is literally around the corner connectiion wise) would be silly IMHO. And more importantly why would I want to share my queries with a 3rd party company.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 17 July 2011 03:39:49
Google now has public IPv6 DNS servers as well: 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844 Source: public-dns-discuss group

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker