SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Use same tunnel from two locations allowed?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 25 February 2015 10:30:11
Hello, I checked the FAQ but that only mentioned account sharing with a friend which does not apply here. I'm currently using the Sixxs tunnel at my parents' home successfully since a while. Yet I'll be moving into my very own home soon and wondered if I can use the same account and tunnel at my own home simultaneously so that both homes have an IPv6 capability? Best regards, Markus
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 25 February 2015 13:43:23
Yet I'll be moving into my very own home soon
Don't forget to update the location of the tunnel. Note that if the new location is in a different country you should likely request a new tunnel.
and wondered if I can use the same account and tunnel at my own home simultaneously so that both homes have an IPv6 capability?
An IP address can only exist at one device at a time. (not speaking about anycast ;) Thus you would need a tunnel per location. If you are the 'administrative contact' in both locations then you can just request another one. If one of the locations is managed by somebody else they need their own account. (Even though AYIYA will magically 'work', not completely see another thread in the forums, the PoP will disable your endpoint for flipping IPv4 endpoints too often)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 25 February 2015 17:00:50
Don't forget to update the location of the tunnel. Note that if the new location is in a different country you should likely request a new tunnel.
Hi Jerome, right! Yet since I'll be just moving within the same town a change of address is luckily not necessary as both will be still valid for me. :)
An IP address can only exist at one device at a time. (not speaking about anycast ;) Thus you would need a tunnel per location. If you are the 'administrative contact' in both locations then you can just request another one. If one of the locations is managed by somebody else they need their own account.
Oops, now that you mention it... I forgot the tunnel only can have one IP address on each end. I'll request an additional tunnel then since I'd be the administrative contact for both anyway. The rest of the family only knows car/train tunnel types. ;)
(Even though AYIYA will magically 'work', not completely see another thread in the forums, the PoP will disable your endpoint for flipping IPv4 endpoints too often)
I'm using heartbeat tunnels in my Fritzbox routers so I should be fine hopefully. Thank you very much for your good and fast support!! Cheers, Markus
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 25 February 2015 17:09:00
The rest of the family only knows car/train tunnel types. ;)
That fits exactly in the definition.
I'm using heartbeat tunnels in my Fritzbox routers so I should be fine hopefully.
Heartbeat tunnels have a similar property. Though the difference is that AYIYA has a heartbeat per packet and heartbeat (the proto-41 sideband channel) is only every 60 seconds or when an interface change is noticed. Thus with heartbeat one will have an outage on one of the two tunnels, while with AYIYA things like TCP re-transmit cover up most of the issues, though one will notice it likely.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker