SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Bell offers IPv6, but has no details
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 06 February 2015 15:38:40
The good news with Bell Canada: They offer IPv6 to business, albeit at an extra fee. The bad news with Bell Canada: there doesn't seem to be much training around the offering. Trying to find out what IPv6 prefix length we get assigned is proving to be tough. Sales doesn't know, front-line technical support doesn't know. I am now hoping their 'IP dedicated' department finds someone who does, since the guy who picked up the phone wasn't event aware of what IPv6 was. I don't blame any individual here, but a company for not providing training around a service they provide, even if it is a niche one. How does this experience match what other people have gone through, trying to get native IPv6 from their service provider?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 06 February 2015 16:03:47
Welcome to 2015! or well, 2000-ish. Getting close to two decades we have been trying to explain to ISPs that the biggest cost in IPv6 is not so much the hardware (gets replaced during standard hardware upgrade cycle), or the deployment (roll-outs can go very very slow), but the training of their people who are answering the phones. Many ISPs have not even bothered looking at upgrading their hardware or at least demanding everything new they buy supports IPv6, let alone rolling things out and definitely did not bother with training their personnel to know about IPv6. The fun thing is, they could have a small IPv6 taskforce and put a note at the phone dudes desk: if you hear "IPv6" call the IPv6 taskforce. But clearly, they don't even invest in that.... and there really is no time left to start now, hence they have to do everything lots of folks have done slowly in the next few years, way too late, way too slow and also more importantly: not already having more than a decade of experience in operating it all.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 06 February 2015 16:41:04
So business as usual? I suppose this is the challenge with infrastructure. Until it breaks, it isn't something sexy enough or apparent enough to seem like worth putting the money where is counts? After contacting Bell I contacted a local cable provide called Videotron and they provide native IPv6 at no extra charge, to residential and the guy on the line was able to get the information I needed very quickly. Admittedly Videotron is a small company, compared to Bell, so maybe it is easier to get the gears turning when they need to make infrastructure improvements? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to diss on Bell, I just want them to improve and join 2015. At least in the mean time there is SixXS, if I don't change provider (I am with Bell at the moment) :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker