SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

do I need a tunnel broker? (all works fine, just a question)
[ru] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 09 December 2009 12:14:49
Hi, I've configured IPv6 thru one of your servers. Then I've read about 6to4 system without tunnel brokers, using anycast 192.88.99.1 gateway. It works well too. Therefore a question follows, what advantages/breakthroughs of tunnel brokers? Thanks in advance, Igor
do I need a tunnel broker? (all works fine, just a question)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 09 December 2009 12:29:17
Everything has a use and pros and cons. Tunnel brokers you have to sign up but optionally also provide you with other tunnel protocols than just proto-41, which 6to4 also uses. The big advantage of a tunnel broker, depending on the one one picks though, is that one gets a static address and NAT-piercing if you select AYIYA, the more important thing though is that 6to4 is extremely hard to debug to the anycasted nature. 6to4 works well in quite some cases, but in the case that 'something' is broken it will be a huge pain to figure out what really is going wrong, which is especially painful when trying to connect to a host on the other side of the planet, in that case tunnel brokers, where the address space is managed and controlled become much easier to use. Also configuration wise it can almost not become easier than with AICCU or for that matter one of the TSP clients. See for a comparison of the tunneling protocols as each has pros and cons too.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker