SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Tunnel Differences
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 15 October 2009 16:44:11
I recently moved my tunnel server to a location where I could configure a static tunnel (instead of the dynamic one I'm currently running). Is there a place on this site that explains the differences between the three? Could anyone shed some light on it for me?
Tunnel Differences
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 15 October 2009 17:51:28
This is of course answered in the FAQ: FAQ : Connectivity (Tunnels and Subnets) : IPv6 Transition Mechanism / Tunneling Comparison Unless you have specific questions of course, but then it would be good to state them....
Tunnel Differences
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 15 October 2009 17:53:58
That's what I was looking for, thank you
Tunnel Differences
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 15 October 2009 18:01:41
I take that back, I have one more question. As mentioned, I've moved my tunnel server to a location where it is directly accessible (public IPv4 address) Would I be better off moving to a static tunnel or just keeping the current AYIYA tunnel?
Tunnel Differences
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 15 October 2009 18:06:44
As always: it depends. If you indeed have a 24/7/356 static public IP address then a static tunnel is appropriate. If you have a public IP address that might change, then go for a heartbeat tunnel. If you have a IP address behind a NAT then go for a AYIYA one. Proto-41 tunnels have less overhead, both in packet size and in CPU overhead, as AYIYA has a signature. Heartbeat overhead is minimal as it is not per-packet. AYIYA can be seen as 'more secure', but there are only very few rare cases that are known where people actually spoofed proto-41 packets and abused that loophole.
Tunnel Differences
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 15 October 2009 18:11:26
So it sounds like a heartbeat tunnel would be appropriate. I do have a static address that "shouldn't" change, but we do not own those addresses, so if we were to change providers, the IP address would change.
Tunnel Differences
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 15 October 2009 18:16:21
You don't change those every month I assume, thus it should be fine as a 'static' endpoint.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker