SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 backbones and their relation to ISPs?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 05 October 2009 04:18:21
I have contacted a number of ISPs in North America about their IPv6 readiness and they usually blame the lack of IPv6 support on the backbone as the reason. I don't know to what extent that is true, but I would be interested in knowing: - which backbones in N. America are IPv6 ready? - whether there is a list of ISPs and which backbones they depend on? In the meantime I am still looking for a Montreal, QC based ISP that provides IPv6 to their customers. I know Bell and Videotron aren't in for the running at this point, since I asked them.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 05 October 2009 08:36:44
See the FAQ: ISPs that provide Native IPv6 and IPv6 Transit Providers.
whether there is a list of ISPs and which backbones they depend on?
One could possibly look at the BGP tables, that at least tells that at that point in time ISP x is using ISP y as a transit provider. But that doesn't tell much in terms of options that the ISPs have for getting IPv6 transit. It all boils down to willingness and cash. The latter is the biggest issue, as it will cost training and possibly hardware upgrades. The best ISPs can do, is do it gradually.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 01 November 2009 16:24:24
The issue is most common with the smaller ISPs. Broadband ISPs (especially the largest, such as VZ, Comcast, TWC, etc. that also serve business customers) have arrangements with IPv6-ready peers (such as Level3, which has arrangements with Comcast, and VZB, which peers VZ's broadband business). A further point about Comcast and IPv6: Comcast *as a business* is looking to deploy IPv6 across the entire company (from NOCs to customers); as such, they are already mandating support for IPv6 in new hardware. The United States government as a whole has already begun moving to IPv6 (per a GAO mandate requiring it back in the second Bush's first term). IPv6 will happen, even in the United States.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker