SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

DNS Pollution?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 25 July 2009 06:17:21
I want to set up a few mostly personal websites on my SixXS subnet, but I am a bit confused about the DNS Pollution warnings that talk about one address per physical host. In my case I am running virtual machines under OpenVZ, and for the websites I intend for each to have its own IPv6 address but be served by one Apache instance. The names will be 3rd-level (host.example.net) and in some cases 4th-level (host.service.example.net) names for domain namess I own. I'm not polluting dns by providing forward and reverse addresses for each website, am I?
DNS Pollution?
[is] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 September 2009 12:13:27
You shouldn't worry. The DNS pollution they are talking about is common between people that make up random hostnames on IRC to look "cool" (which, by the way, is not). Several examples of DNS names considered DNS pollution: my.mom.is.better.than.your.org omgz.i.gotz.l33t5.5ki11z.info org.org.org.org.org.org.org
DNS Pollution?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 29 September 2009 14:53:50
You are identifying a service there, that is fine. If your service would be i.am.the.king.of.the.internet.per.example.org though then that would be dns pollution. Why actually do you want to separate these services per IP address and why would they need a proper reverse hostname?

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker