SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

How long is it reasonable to wait for a pop to recover before requesting to move to another pop ?
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 04 July 2009 18:27:32
I've got a node connected to uslax01, that has been down for a week because uslax01 has been off the air. How long is a reasonable time to wait for a pop to come back before asking to be re-homed to another pop ? Is there a way to find out the cause of the issue / likely duration of outage without pestering SixXS staff ? I'd like to get that host reconnected - but if a fix is a day or two away , I'd be happy to wait - but if it's another week, then I would consider requesting a move ? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or a search of the forum.. Guidance welcomed.. C
How long is it reasonable to wait for a pop to recover before requesting to move to another pop ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 15 October 2009 16:44:23
I'm curious, what did you end up doing about this?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 October 2009 21:31:23
I now fall into this 'Curious' group. Can anyone suggest how long one should wait before creating new tunnels/subnets or requesting a POP Relocation?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 October 2009 22:09:21
I currently maintain a connection to two PoPs (perhaps unfortunate that they are both run by the same ISP, so subject to the same maintenance windows). There have been times where both have been down. At one point this lasted for 2 or 3 days and I was about to set up a new tunnel when one came back to life, followed by the other one a few days later.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 20 October 2009 22:16:50
I'll give you the standard answer, which is the one that nobody seems to be able to accept for some strange reason. If you require an SLA (you are requesting that things are working for a certain X of time and that things are fixed in Y time) then you are basically in the wrong place. The ISPs that are generously providing the PoPs do this for free/gratuit(*), as such demanding that they fix things ASAP is simply not done. They are doing their bests and unfortunately in cases where hardware breaks things might take longer than you, and us for that matter, might want. Generally things get fixed quickly though so that most people don't even notice. In a few cases unfortunately it takes a bit longer. We can't do much about this and we just have to wait for the problem to be resolved. We try to update the ticket tracker with as much information as is available and what can be distributed. Just in case you are wondering, we (SixXS Staff) would love to have 100% uptime for everything, but unfortunately we really do not have the ability to move around the world, put new hardware in place and fix things in that way. We are doing everything from our home, next to our regular day job, which is sometimes something that some people seem to heavily forget... Additionally, you might want to look at that handy thing called The FAQ which also has an entry about this. If you cannot find yourself in the fact that you are using a free service that might sometimes have some downtime, simply because things sometimes just break, then as I mentioned above, you are in the wrong place. I suggest in that case that you call up some local ISPs and request service from them. Generally they will want some nice cash from you if you are requesting everything to be perfectly available, which is understandable. Also note that if you know of an ISP who does want to deploy IPv6, thus has a prefix and hardware available but no way to get it to their customers, don't hesitate to point them in our direction. Most part of the SixXS system is fully automated, thus that works fine. The only latent issues at the moment are users updates, which we will hopefully add to the UI soon so that those can be automated too. Oh, and a new aiccu client, but this requires some more work before it will be useful again in it's new incarnation. These don't stop anybody from using the services provided by SixXS though, they would just make it easier. Note that we of course always welcome positive comments and ideas, see the other forum topics about that. (* = demuc02 and dkcph02 might be one of the few exceptions as these are solely for their own customers)
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 27 October 2009 21:36:59
Sorry for the slow response here, life and whatnot. I understand that this is a free service, and I did not mean to come across as demanding, or bitchy, or anything along those lines. I was attempting to do something sort of opposite of all that. I have 3 tunnels on USCHI02. One for home(with subnet), one that goes on my remote server (which I use some JS to track ipv4 vs ipv6 traffic), and one I use at work. I've never complained about the day here and day there downtimes that I've experienced (usually routing issues in between my NJ server and chicago... unable to ping the ipv4 address), and they have always been magically resolved within a day or so. Now, all 3 tunnels have fallen to the unfortunate raid card failure that Your.Org experienced, and I was curious how long was considered 'polite' and whatnot before requesting new tunnels. I've accumulated plenty of ISK for the requests, but I didn't want to cause additional work for those who have to approve this sort of stuff. Unfortunately, the down time has stopped me from playing with some of my pet projects (nothing of consequence, or even anything that benefits anyone other than my own learning), and I would like to get back tinkering. Today is day 12 that the POP has been confirmed to have problems, so I'd like to return to my previous inquiry: how long is considered 'proper' to wait? The FAQ entry covers "often" down with "don't hesitate" (and I read that before posting my question here), but mentions nothing about extended downtime. Again, I'm not intending to sound rude, or short, or anything like that. I'm not angry or anything that my IPv6 connection isn't up, just a little annoyed by it. Sorry if my original post came across like that.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 28 October 2009 03:16:20
Agreed. Like Jereon said, you can't be angry when something you're not paying for doesn't work. But on the other hand, it is sort of annoying when you get used to it always being there and working.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 28 October 2009 03:16:40
Whoops, that should be Jeroen, sorry for the misspelling

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker