SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Splitting subnet over several tunnels to same POP?
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 20 December 2013 11:33:19
Hi, I already have a tunnel and a /48 subnet setup successfully. As I also have (at least) another (physical) site under my "administrative rule" they would fit the definition of "one site" ;-). Now, all the sites would connect to the same POP, but via several tunnels (as they are online at the same time). It seems like a waste to request a /48 subnet for all of them, so my idea was to route e.g. a /56 part of the /48 net to each tunnel. Is this possible to do on the POP-side? Because otherwise, all traffic would need to go to ione site and back, correct? Or could I somehow send routing-information for "my" subnet (/48) to the POP, e.g. 2001:my:subnet48:100::/56 => tunnel 1 2001:my:subnet48:200::/56 => tunnel 2 Thanks!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 20 December 2013 11:45:32
Subnets can not be 'split'. A /48 is per-site and thus per tunnel endpoint.
As I also have (at least) another (physical) site under my "administrative rule" they would fit the definition of "one site" ;-).
You are missing the "in one location" portion of that generalisation.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 20 December 2013 14:11:36
Hi Jeroen, thanks for the quick answer!
Subnets can not be 'split'. A /48 is per-site and thus per tunnel endpoint.
I already suspected as much, but it would have been "nice to have". Doesn't hurt to ask though :-)
> As I also have (at least) another (physical) site under my "administrative rule" they would fit the definition of "one site" ;-). You are missing the "in one location" portion of that generalisation.
Hmm, I'm definitely missing the "in one location" portion in the FAQ: https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=usingsubnet Or am I just blind? (I admit that I did not read the relevant RFCs before posting my question). Again, thanks for the definite answer and Merry christmas!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 20 December 2013 18:07:54
Hmm, I'm definitely missing the "in one location" portion in the FAQ:
The word 'site' means 'location'. If you have multiple locations, you have multiple sites. Also there are 'official' definitions of site going around in the RIR communities. The one given in the FAQ is merely a simple explanation.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker