SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Multiple disparate devices: multiple tunnels? Many other questions.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 21 November 2013 21:02:19
I have multiple computers, all at home, and a laptop. I'm a new user, and my first tunnel is being used by my laptop via AYIYA. However, I'd like to hopefully set up IPv6 for all my computers. I've been told by others that you can set up a router with OpenWRT and a single tunnel, that way all devices connected to that router can use IPv6. However, would that require a /56 subnet? If that were the case, would each have to manually have their IPv6 connection configured? How would that work? Is there DHCP for IPv6? If so, how does it work? Also, what about my Android devices? Can they be configured to use IPv6? Since they move around a lot, would each of them require their own tunnel? If I'm going to need many tunnels, is there any way I can set up my own? I have a server that has native IPv6 and I'm reasonably sure I can get a subnet for my own use. Would that be enough to set up my own tunnels? If so, what would I need to know and understand to make that happen? Are there others I could ask about? If that won't work, could you explain why not, or why it would be a bad idea (if it is a bad idea)? If nothing else, I don't know where I can go for more information or where I can learn more on my own; would anyone be willing to list some of those resources? Sorry for the huge barrage of questions, and a giant thank you to all the SixXS staff who've worked to make all this possible!
Multiple disparate devices: multiple tunnels? Many other questions.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 22 November 2013 08:01:13
However, would that require a /56 subnet?
It depends on how many networks ("Layer 2", "non-routed" or "same broadcast domain") you have behind the router. Most home networks only have 1 network, typically wifi and ethernet are in the same broadcast domain. Hence a single /64 (the default routed subnet) is sufficient. Some people have separate broadcast domains for WiFi and wired networks, or even VLAN heavily. In that case one needs a /64 per broadcast domain and thus one likely needs a /48.
If that were the case, would each have to manually have their IPv6 connection configured? How would that work? Is there DHCP for IPv6? If so, how does it work?
You can either use the simple method using "Router Advertisements" or indeed optionally use DHCPv6. I have never bothered with DHCPv6 for a Home Network, for me RA suits my needs (due to EUI-64 addresses are static). Some people want the extra control though and thus use DHCPv6. See this How do I give connectivity to other hosts on my subnet?
Also, what about my Android devices? Can they be configured to use IPv6?
Android supports IPv6 on the Wifi on most versions. According to Wikipedia it does not support DHCPv6 (at least upto Jelly Bean) but RA will do just fine. Seems the bug for Android DHCPv6 is still open, though people provide alternative methods there.
Since they move around a lot, would each of them require their own tunnel?
If they move, then you either can try to get IPv6 in all locations you got to (encourage your friends and employers!) or run a tunnel off the device itself.
If I'm going to need many tunnels, is there any way I can set up my own?
Likely yes, though it is not something easy to do.
I have a server that has native IPv6 and I'm reasonably sure I can get a subnet for my own use. Would that be enough to set up my own tunnels?
Theoretically, yes.
If so, what would I need to know and understand to make that happen?
A lot and lot of reading. Understanding the basics of IP, IPv4, IPv6 and tunneling would be a good start. There are a variety of options available, some might be easy, some more complex.
Are there others I could ask about?
Google has a few tutorials around. But as stated, they are not the easiest of subjects, unless one is quite comfortable with them...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker