SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 NAT ?
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 05 April 2009 10:06:38
Is it possible to set the up the following with the current IPv6 standard? This would be a NAT solution with less issues then the IPv4 version. Can I tell the router to simply replace the netmask of the IP, on all incoming packages: Like this for incoming packages: [2001:aaf::223:1] -> [fc00:1::223:1] Like this for outgoing packages: [fc00:1::223:1] -> [2001:aaf::223:1] With this solution one can change the tunnel for example, but still keep the same internal IP addresses. (However having two sets of IPs one local and one global on each node would be better.) Note. Personally I cant see any use for IPv6 NAT. But still, the knowledge within the IT-departments around the world, is not the same as mine.
IPv6 NAT ?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 April 2009 23:42:53
From what I understand, NAT-66 is supposed to do a 1:1 mapping of public to private IP addresses. I don't think there is any hardware/software out yet that uses NAT-66. At least not any that I can find. I am pretty sure there will be NAT for IPv6 soon. Unless of course the RIRs are willing to hand out provider independent prefixes. Otherwise enterprises are going to have to renumber their network every time they change ISPs. I don't think many companies want their networks to be at the mercy of their ISPs. This why they wont let us deploy IPv6 at my company. As far as your question goes. I don't think there is a way to do this yet.
IPv6 NAT ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 10 April 2009 11:57:32
Martin, why don't you then use two addresses per host ? Doesn't IPv6 support easy renumbering and/or migration ? I haven't delt with IPv6 for months, so I don't remember the details, but I think one design goal of IPv6 was to make ISP change easy. Regards, David
IPv6 NAT ?
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 April 2009 23:58:22
Indeed, I use two ips/host. I beleve the issue of "missing" ipv6-nat support is a case of missing knowledge in company it strategy group. The "egg or bird first" issue is reduced when a solution with similarity to IPv4-NAT exists. Simply because decision makers then feel less scared about the IPv6 enabling decision.
IPv6 NAT ?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 10 April 2009 15:57:27
Discussion on the state of NAT66 can be found on the ietf website
IPv6 NAT ?
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 April 2009 23:58:51
Thank you, great information.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker