SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Netflix thinks I am in Switzerland!?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 October 2013 21:19:59
I have been connecting quite successfully to Netflix via IPv6 and getting my Canadian content, but now Netflix thinks I am in Switzerland, based on looking at the tlr cookie (it shows CH, rather than CA). I checked my local IPv6 address and it shows it to be in the US. Is it possible I am getting redirected to an Amazon WS server in Switzerland, so screwing up where Netflix thinks I am? Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 21 October 2013 09:18:27
I checked my local IPv6 address and it shows it to be in the US.
What is your exact local IPv6 address?
Is it possible I am getting redirected to an Amazon WS server in Switzerland, so screwing up where Netflix thinks I am?
Likely, but that would just be a part of the puzzle. It can depend on IP-based routing and thus prefix-based detection, but also on Geo-DNS (which in turn depends on which DNS server(s) you use) and where then that all gets geo-located. The actual cluster that you are talking to might not be that important. Note that afaik there is no Amazon servers in Switzerland (though I can be quite wrong), the cookie likely is just a indicator to whatever server is being used. A traceroute might clarify that though.
Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated.
If you can provide details I can reach out to the NetFlix folks and see how they do geolocation. We'll likely can setup a geofeeds sync with them which will solve any such problems.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 14:58:50
I think I am having the same problem. If I turn off my IPv6 Netflix works great. My ISP for IPv4 is Comcast. With IPv6 turned on Netflix says: Sorry, Netflix hasn't come to this part of the world yet I am physically located in Connecticut, US. My IPv6 space is 2001:4978:131::. I'm coming off the SIXXS uschi02 POP. I'm using Google's public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS. I don't know where Netflix thinks I'm coming from (Switzerland or otherwise.) I talked (via chat) with a Netflix support person. They gave me the standard boilerplate answer that my WHOIS information does not indicate I'm coming from an authorized country and that I should contact my ISP. Does anyone at SIXXS have some insight into this?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 15:13:21
They gave me the standard boilerplate answer that my WHOIS information does not indicate I'm coming from an authorized country and that I should contact my ISP.
In WHOIS the prefixes for uschi02 (2001:4978:100::/40) are pointing to our SixXS object, which is addressed in Switzerland as that is where we are located, but that is the organisation address, not the location where the network is used or used by whom. Nevertheless, I would not be surprised if that is causing the issues actually... having any other detail there would be a lie though. The thing is, in that query there is also a: ReferralServer: rwhois://whois.sixxs.net:43 line which does list the correct details if followed. In RIPE space we register individual /48s and /64s, unfortunately that is not (easily) possible in ARIN land, hence why that referral is there.
Does anyone at SIXXS have some insight into this?
We are communicating with Netflix on this and currently pursuing with Akamai how and if we can get this resolved as they are apparently doing the geo-location. Note that VPN/tunnel providers like SixXS are 'scary' legally for these kind of companies, hence why we are trying to work on it, but it might have little effect to where they think one is located. See also FAQ: What about geolocation? How does a content provider where my endpoint is? for a few other details on what we are doing to resolve this.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 16:22:48
I'm in a chat session with Netflix right now. Did something with SixXS or the POP change on 2013-Oct-19 or maybe the 18th? I'm asking Netflix the same question.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 17:58:26
The Internet is a very dynamic thing, thus likely something could have changed somewhere. If you can be more specific about what might have changed, then you will be able to get a better answer. In respect to geo-location details (where whois is the primary source) nothing changed though for quite a long time already.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 October 2013 02:02:19
Daniel Massameno wrote:
I'm in a chat session with Netflix right now. Did something with SixXS or the POP change on 2013-Oct-19 or maybe the 18th? I'm asking Netflix the same question.
I've been on a chat session with Netflix also. I'm in Texas but my tunnel endpoint is in Illinois, yet Netflix believes I'm out of the country. I'm doubtful this will get resolved, but I'm trying. I love having an IPv6 network at home, but on the other hand, the family really likes Netflix, so it's tough times for this geek. :) I'm pretty sure this used to work, and something changed somewhere - probably with Netflix.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 October 2013 23:17:54
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> I checked my local IPv6 address and it shows it to be in the US. What is your exact local IPv6 address?
Sorry, for the late reply: I am using PoP uschi02 and my IP is 2001:4978:f:48::2 I can confirm that turning off IPv6 lets me connect to Netflix as does using non-IPv6 capable technology (Wii U). BTW Since IPv6 is a feature of Amazon WS, I wouldn't be surprised that Netflix support staff are a little clueless about the technology - well that, and it is probably not something that is documented in their support database. You would have to get patched through to engineering to get anything useful and even then, based on my experience elsewhere, only a handful of them would be likely clued in. This is part of the reason I felt sixxs was the better avenue of help. As for the trace route:
traceroute6 movies.netflix.com traceroute to movies.netflix.com (2406:da00:ff00::ccec:e713), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets 1 gw-73.chi-02.us.sixxs.net (2001:4978:f:48::1) 46.569 ms 46.071 ms 48.556 ms 2 unassigned.v6.your.org (2001:4978:1:400::53:1) 46.167 ms 46.283 ms 45.773 ms 3 sixxs.ge-0.0.0-30.core1.chi.bb6.your.org (2001:4978:1:400::ffff) 46.935 ms 46.999 ms 46.708 ms 4 ge-0-0-9-107.ar1.ord6.us.nlayer.net (2001:590::451f:692d) 50.189 ms 50.197 ms 49.869 ms 5 ae5-60g.cr2.ord1.us.nlayer.net (2001:590::451f:6efd) 47.866 ms ae5-60g.cr1.ord1.us.nlayer.net (2001:590::451f:6ef9) 47.564 ms 47.267 ms 6 xe-0.equinix.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:504:0:4::2914:1) 47.247 ms 48.788 ms 48.724 ms 7 ae-4.r23.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:2000::30a) 74.105 ms 78.235 ms 72.117 ms 8 ae-1.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:2000::62) 78.139 ms ae-5.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:2000::6) 95.560 ms ae-1.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:2000::62) 79.601 ms 9 ae-1.r00.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:2000::1ce) 79.641 ms 79.620 ms 85.698 ms 10 ae-4.amazon.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:5000::d9) 79.485 ms ae-5.amazon.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:5000::db) 80.345 ms ae-4.amazon.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (2001:418:0:5000::d9) 85.744 ms 11 * * * 12 2406:da00::102 (2406:da00::102) 87.337 ms 75.520 ms 87.212 ms 13 * * * 14 * * * 15 * * * 16 * * * 17 * * *
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 29 October 2013 08:58:05
I am using PoP uschi02 and my IP is 2001:4978:f:48::2
That confirms it for you too, only uschi02 has the issue it seems; thus it is just because Akamai is using the WHOIS records and picked an organisational address which has nothing to do with the actual location of the users.
BTW Since IPv6 is a feature of Amazon WS, I wouldn't be surprised that Netflix support staff are a little clueless about the technology
Don't call them clueless, they really not. The NetFlix folks I am communicating with (the people who run the network and implemented the IPv6 portions)) know very well how things work. They unfortunately have a lot of layers of lawyers who are looking upon them and thus they have apparently outsourced the geo information to Akamai. We are trying to get this resolved through them.
This is part of the reason I felt sixxs was the better avenue of help.
We are digging into it; but the legal part (read: they can get fined if a license holder figures out they have wrong geolocation and they have served content when it should not have served) makes it tricky for them.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 October 2013 04:38:02
After 3 hours on the phone and in chat with Netflix, I give up. They finally told me they no longer support IPv6 and that techblog.netflix.com , specifically, http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/07/enabling-support-for-ipv6.html is not affiliated with their company. However, we know it's because their geolocation system is broken, but they won't admit it. I was told as a workaround to shut down IPv6, use Netflix, and when done, turn it back on again. I love using IPv6 so I'll probably have to figure out how to get things going again using Netflix, even if it means switching tunnel providers. I'd dump Netflix over this, but unfortunately, there are a few other people in my household that get a vote in the matter.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 26 October 2013 08:29:48
even if it means switching tunnel providers.
As long as NetFlix/Akamai does not fix their Geolocation detection (basing it on WHOIS), they will be wrong there. It only affects one PoP (uschi02) from what we are aware of. As such, changing to a different PoP (eg uschi03) would solve it too. As a quick-fix, either request a new tunnel/subnet through the website and start using that or mail info@sixxs.net with "NetFlix Geolocation" in the subject and we'll copy the tunnel/subnet over for you.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 October 2013 23:19:50
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> even if it means switching tunnel providers. As long as NetFlix/Akamai does not fix their Geolocation detection (basing it on WHOIS), they will be wrong there. It only affects one PoP (uschi02) from what we are aware of. As such, changing to a different PoP (eg uschi03) would solve it too. As a quick-fix, either request a new tunnel/subnet through the website and start using that or mail info@sixxs.net with "NetFlix Geolocation" in the subject and we'll copy the tunnel/subnet over for you.
Does anyone have any good contacts with the Geolocation service that Amazon WS is using to resolve this?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 29 October 2013 08:53:54
Does anyone have any good contacts with the Geolocation service that Amazon WS is using to resolve this?
According to NetFlix, Akamai is the one doing the Geolocation; trying to get through to them. The problem is though, that for any of these services "tunnels" are evil per default, as they simply do not trust the data, which is sad.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 October 2013 01:16:39
Thank you Jeroen. Especially with the offer to copy the tunnel over for me. I'll be emailing shortly. You guys are awesome and I love your service.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:41:48
Ricky, I read the link you provided. Thanks. Didn't know they were blogging in this kind of detail. I love how they claim a URL with "netflix.com" is not affiliated with their company. You've been pwned? People are posting stuff to your domain that you are not affiliated with? :-) I spent about 40 minutes on chat with their Level 1 technician. Very friendly, but I know this person was not going to be able to help. They, in turn, were chatting with one of the Level 2 engineers. That person was able to white list my Netflix account. Once that was done it worked like a champ. I'm 100% up and running on IPv6 with Netflix. Presumably I could now take my laptop to Iran and still get Netflix? No plans on leaving Connecticut. For the time being my Netflix works. This message board and its community rocks. Thanks!
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 10:50:57
BTW, Netflix (and other content providers) should not block their services to certain geographical locations! If Iran or China or some other megalomaniac screwed up country wants to stop subversive ideas from entering their country, let them go through all the time and expense of intercepting all the Internet the comes into their country and then filtering whatever content they want. Corporations should not be cooperating with these clown dictatorships. I may be oversimplifying the international geopolitics of the situation, but maybe what the world needs more of is some "simplification." Thank you for your patience for my rant on what is generally a technical forum.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 13:30:44
Note that it is NOT the countries that block this. It is the content owners (not the creators mind you) that do this. Their claimed primary reason: maximize profits. They are actually causing more problems than it is worth. I, living in Switzerland, would love to be able to pay for a service like Netflix, but cannot. Hence I do not. Funnier about Switzerland will be though that they will deliver the content in three spoken languages: German, French and Italian. No where will there be an option to get the original English language. The same problem happens to games and other content; same goes for cinemas, be there the first week for the original English version or you'll never see it there again till you are finally able to to order it on BluRay from one of many UK/US/etc shops where it will be out on BluRay before it typically even hits the cinemas here... They are biting themselves in the foot....

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker