SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Other way round: IPv4 tunneled whithin IPv6
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 September 2013 21:39:05
Perhaps this sounds a bit funny. But: my ISP (UPC Cablecom) is planning to deploy "Dual-Stack lite" (DS-lite) in a few months (perhaps it takes some more months :-)) As far as i understand: with DS-lite they won't give me a public IPv4 any more. I will just get a NATed IPv4 (like 10.x.x.x). With this scenario i can't reach my LAN any more via IPv4, as i can't configure any port-forwadings. So the question will be: can i get a public IPv4 from anybody else? Of course i think this won't be free of charge. But why not pay some dollars for one or two years for a public IPv4, up to when the last LAN, hotel hotspot and mobile provider installed IPv6. Any suggestions?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 10 September 2013 07:54:36
So the question will be: can i get a public IPv4 from anybody else?
There are lots of VPN providers out there that will happily provide you with IPv4.
Any suggestions?
Stop using IPv4 altogether for reaching home, just get an IPv6 tunnel to every location you do not get native IPv6. Note that given free time, SixXS will likely start having IPv6-in-IPv6 tunnels, this as a lot of people love the static IPv6 addressess + prefixes and it seems quite a few ISPS are doling out dynamic IPs and quite often without a subnet for behind the primary device (which kind of quite ignores the whole reason of IPv6: more address space...)
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 26 September 2013 11:31:38
Jeroen Massar wrote:
There are lots of VPN providers out there that will happily provide you with IPv4.
Yes, i thought that there are such providers. But could you please name some of them? Unfortunately a google-search for "ipv4 vpn provider" was not very successfull...
Stop using IPv4 altogether for reaching home, just get an IPv6 tunnel to every location you do not get native IPv6.
This is why i use SixXS now: One IPv6-Tunnel for my Home-Network and one for my Android-Smartphone. But really: On my (rooted) Android-Phone IPv6 (with Androiccu) is basically working. But it's not 100% smart: - Device has to be rooted (so it's not an option for most users) - Most Apps are still not IPv6-ready (e.g. SSH-Client "ConnectBot") - Provides-DNS often remove AAAA-records (so i have to modify the DNS-Serve-Adress also) - IPv4-change (mobile-network <--> WiFi) breaks the SixXS-Tunnel (for some minutes) - i have multiple mobile-devices (Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone). So i have to install a tunnel on every device. With SixXS you have to wait some weeks to earn enough ISKs - Ad hoc usage of other devices (PC of a friend), which is not IPv6-ready (neither native nor tunneled) is impossible to reach my home - A SixXS-Tunnel from a mobile-device is not 100% stable (packet loss, long roundtrips, often i need to stop/start the tunnel manually). And so we gain nearly no ISKs for such a tunnel... - A tunnel uses more data and bandwidth that a native IPv4-communication. On the mobile-network this is not 'cheap' (money and time) So therefore i still think (at least for some 'power-home-users') there will be a need for a provider-independent IPv4-Address in the next few years.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 26 September 2013 11:41:59
Unfortunately a google-search for "ipv4 vpn provider" was not very successfull...
Note that the world does not know about IPv6 yet, thus just use google(vpn provider) and you will get thousands of them. I don't know/use any of them as I just put (native) IPv6 in every location I need it.
On my (rooted) Android-Phone IPv6 (with Androiccu) is basically working.
Check IPv6Droid for a possible better alternative.
- Most Apps are still not IPv6-ready (e.g. SSH-Client "ConnectBot")
Request to get the app fixed?
- Provides-DNS often remove AAAA-records (so i have to modify the DNS-Serve-Adress also)
Use a DNS server that does not snoop and break queries?
- IPv4-change (mobile-network <--> WiFi) breaks the SixXS-Tunnel (for some minutes)
That is a problem of Androiccu. AYIYA itself handles this just fine.
- i have multiple mobile-devices (Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone). So i have to install a tunnel on every device. With SixXS you have to wait some weeks to earn enough ISKs
You are doing something special, thus that needs a special thing. Instead of having a tunnel per device, have a tunnel per network you are in.
- Ad hoc usage of other devices (PC of a friend), which is not IPv6-ready (neither native nor tunneled) is impossible to reach my home
Then explain that friend how to upgrade their network to IPv6.
- A SixXS-Tunnel from a mobile-device is not 100% stable (packet loss, long roundtrips, often i need to stop/start the tunnel manually). And so we gain nearly no ISKs for such a tunnel...
Did you check where the packetloss is happening? Did you check where the 'long roundtrips' are happening? Why do you need to stop/start, any details? And a dynamic tunnel used in that way is not really expected to earn credits as it is not always on, which is the requirement.
- A tunnel uses more data and bandwidth that a native IPv4-communication. On the mobile-network this is not 'cheap' (money and time)
No real way around that problem.
So therefore i still think (at least for some 'power-home-users') there will be a need for a provider-independent IPv4-Address in the next few years.
Or get a host somewhere that has native IPv4 and use that to connect to IPv6 only services. Also note that you really do not need PI addresses, unless you really cannot afford renumbering. What you likely meant to say is a 'static' address; but even that is not really required with a reasonable Dynamic DNS system.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker