SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Measuring IPv6 and IPv4 traffic separately
[cz] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 05 December 2008 14:40:57
Does anybody know some method how to measure both types of traffic on the dual stack interface? It would be interesting for me to advertise AAAA of our public webserver into the DNS and then observe, how the IPv6 traffic is increasing and possibly later IPv4 is decreasing on that machine. I was trying to get the separate IPv6 and IPv4 info from interface on Linux (Debian) machine via ifconfig command and on CISCO router via SNMP, but it seems to me, that there are not Gauges for IP version separated values. The only thing I can measure now is traffic flow through our IPv6 Tunnel (on CISCO router). Thanks in advance for any info Jakub Serych
[cz] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 21 March 2009 09:34:57
You can make entry in IPtables and ip6tables, with iptables -vnL you can display how much data and packets passed that rule. It is not too efficient, but it would work. You can then make some scripts for reading values into mrtg for example. I think per interface statistics are from link layer, which does not know anything about what protocol is sent. You need to use higher layers to know which protocol is more used and how much.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 06 February 2015 17:31:08
The quickest way I have found is just to analyze web server logs. If your web server supports IPv6, then you should be able to tell by the connecting IP address.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 06 February 2015 18:17:04
Jason lewis wrote:
The quickest way I have found is just to analyze web server logs. If your web server supports IPv6, then you should be able to tell by the connecting IP address.
That would only measure web*server* traffic, not what is happening in your network though.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 05 December 2008 14:46:16
NetFlow is what you need for this, that should be available in your Cisco too.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker