SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 development with .Net
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 31 January 2004 05:18:26
Hey everyone, If you are trying to make a IPv6 enabled app in .net, there is one little gotcha that took me some time to figure out so I thought I would share. IPv6 is not enabled by default in the .net framework. To enable it you must open the machine.config file. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.XXXX\CONFIG and change the ipv6 tag: <!-- <ipv6 enabled="false"/> --> to <ipv6 enabled="true"/> You will have to instruct your users to do the same. Hope this may save you the trouble that I went through. Cheers! Dan
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 13 July 2005 21:38:30
Keep in mind that this does not *need* to be done in machine.config. This setting also works in CoolIPv6App.config, if your app is named CoolIPv6App.exe. This way, your users don't need to fiddle in their machine.config. ;) Of course, keep in mind that it still needs to be nested correctly as in machine config. Example CoolIPv6App.config:
<?xml version="1.0"?> <configuration> <system.net> <settings> <ipv6 enabled="true"/> </settings> </system.net> </configuration>
IPv6 with Interix/SFU 3.5?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 27 July 2005 16:39:50
While on that topic... on Interix / Services for Unix 3.5 there is no IPv6 yet, or does anyone know of a way to get it working and usable from apps? This is for the Win2k MSDN stack; I heard in Win2003 SP1 Interix will be installed by default as is IPv6, maybe it's improved there?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 31 January 2004 12:25:52
Hmmm nice to know and see that .Net supports it. The Java stuff is still missing support on Windows though, except for some old binary releases which are out. Ah it is even documented in the config. <!-- The following entry enables IPv6 support in the System.Net classes. IPv6 support is predicated on availability of an IPv6 WinSock provider, use of Windows XP and the switch below being set to "true". --> *setting to true* :)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 06 February 2004 02:10:16
I am sure you also knew that IIS 6.0 (standard on Windows 2003 and .NET servers) is IPv6 compliant ... (well .. at least listens on the socket) ;)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 06 February 2004 02:15:32
That I did know.... but didn't think that .Net itself would support it. I am wondering now though why they haven't yet added IPv6 support to Outlook in that case. Portproxies over localhost work quite well fortunatly, except for the fact that one really needs good, fast and working IPv6 connectivity when going places. Let's say hail to a good, fast and working TB })

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker