SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 26 October 2003 17:25:49
From doc/changelog
heartbeat (2003-10-26) stable * Code splitting. * hb_behindnat / "sender" support. * Removed Windows pieces, in preparation of Windows Client which will be using parts of this code but seperatly. * No more exits on bind failures. * Starting the client again checks if the client is already running and SIGHUP's that client, exiting itself. * Fixed compilation on OpenBSD. -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:00:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-10-18) stable * Intermediate release fixing OS parsing bug. -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:06:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-10-08) stable * New style configuration parser that supports quoting. * Configuration file updated to reflect the changes. -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:21:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-10-06) stable * Added NetBSD support. * Automatic endian configuration. * Swapped g_ipv4_interface with the correct g_ipv6_interface. * Added note about NTP syncing of the client's clock. * Standard configuration now uses pop's hostname and tunnel endpoints out of 2001:db8::/32. * Heartbeat frequency set to standard 60 seconds. -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Mon, 6 Oct 2003 03:33:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-09-25) stable * local resolve support thus one can heartbeat using another IP, getting the IP from DNS Handy for NAT constructions where you can put the external IP in DNS. No, this doesn't allow random IP's to be put in the packet, the IP contained in the packet *must* match the IP from which the packet came. * 'statictunnel' Don't change local tunnel endpoint, also allows one to run the client as non-root as bindtodevice is not done * daemonize Set it to 0 to not detach the client, handy for debugging. * sigHUP will now cause an immediate heartbeat to be sent. eg for use in "killall -HUP heartbeat-client" in dhclient's script. Wrapped logging into hblog() function and seperated beating into beat(). -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:56:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-09-18) stable * Update fixing the changing of the local tunnel endpoint. -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:23:42 +0100 heartbeat (2003-09-15) stable * Initial public release -- Jeroen Massar <jeroen@sixxs.net> Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:10:24 +0100
Heartbeat Client updates
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 October 2003 17:43:27
by the way, wouldn't it be nice for heartbeat-tunnels to show a link on the tunnel information page to download the client? that way i wouldn't need to look up this email i got back then to get the download-link :)
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 27 October 2003 00:29:56
There is a link now to the generic Heartbeat Information page where there are pointers to the download. Btw there is a nice Search function on this site, guess what hit number one is, it matches the first hit in google :)
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 30 October 2003 01:38:28
There is a new Windows Heartbeat client dated 2003-10-30 which has been succesfully tested on Windows 2000. Note also that the Windows Client allows one to configure static tunnels too. It does not enable/disable them though, you will have to do that yourself. Codebases of the unix and windows client will be merged later today, thus expect a new unix version too. Next step Unix Autoconfig
Heartbeat Client Questions
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 30 October 2003 12:26:56
The heartbeat client is a great program, and the 2003-10-30 runs great on Windows 2003 with a static tunnel. (thow I had got the MFC70.dll problem again) [edit] The heartbeat client 2003-10-29 ran great yesterday on my Windows XP box with heartbeat tunnel [/edit] But my questions are: Will the Heartbeat Client (Windows version) in the future also autoconfigure Subnet routing? Will the Windows versions source be available for download?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 30 October 2003 20:31:58
Will the Heartbeat Client (Windows version) in the future also autoconfigure Subnet routing?
No, because it has no knowledge of your and many other people's network. One can add those configuration items themselves.
Will the Windows versions source be available for download?
Maybe, but for what reason would you like to have that?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 30 October 2003 20:50:46
Will the Windows versions source be available for download?
Maybe, but for what reason would you like to have that?
just some curiosity (or however you spell it)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 14 November 2003 16:40:27
It seems that everytime i switch my dynamic ip the heartbeat client (win version) deleted the whole 'SixXS' interface and readds it, thus deleting all my subnet settings, ips etc, so everytime i have to readd everything, it would be nice if the client would leave those setting alone and just updates what it has to update, or there is a function within the heartbeat client that with every dynamic ip switch, it executes a script that i have made so the subnet gets readded automaticly. These are just ideas. Sorry for my bad english
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 14 November 2003 16:57:42
That is correct, it completely removes the tunnel. Unfortunatly there is no other way, except probably some weird API that we don't know of. We did look into mimicing netsh but that really got out of scope. The execution of a script sounds like a good solution -> added to the todo list. Expect it in the next update, coming probably this weekend. As a bonus it will also sport variables, allowing one to do something like: netsh int ipv6 set route %subnet%:1::/64 "Kitchen" publish=yes netsh int ipv6 set route %subnet%:2::/64 "Attic" publish=yes On popular request to info@sixxs.net, the place to send your feature requests, there will also be NT service support, allowing the heartbeat client to run as a service. One will be able to designate a special usergroup controlling who can access the GUI. Opening the client's GUI will only reveal "read-only" options to users without enough priveleges.
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 11 December 2003 14:28:52
Does the heartbeat client send the heartbeat signal only through ipv4 to announce it's location on the IPv4 network? Like me, I am behind a NAT router, and if no ipv6 traffic is transmitted for 600 seconds, the router deletes the conntrack entry, rendering me unreachable after this period, whether or not there is a heartbeat or not. This way the IPv6 traffic is bounced into the IPv4 firewall because it has nothing to do with it anymore. situation: heartbeat tells I'm here, but no IPv6 traffic will reach me. Would it be a feature to make heartbeat send some ipv6 traffic as well to maintain conntrack status through NAT routers?
Heartbeat Client updates
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 12 December 2003 14:53:07
I'd suggest rather replacing the router, for example with a PeeCee running any BSD :)
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 12 December 2003 14:59:53
It's a linux router actually, but I do not want to modify any router I place my laptop behind, that's why 8-)
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 14 December 2003 18:23:33
Does the heartbeat client send the heartbeat signal only through ipv4 to announce it's location on the IPv4 network?
Ofcourse as it is quite expected that there is no IPv6 connectivity.
Like me, I am behind a NAT router, and if no ipv6 traffic is transmitted for 600 seconds, the router deletes the conntrack entry
Fix your router in that case, or better, produce traffic ;)
Would it be a feature to make heartbeat send some ipv6 traffic as well to maintain conntrack status through NAT routers?
I really see no reason to do that especially is it was not meant to do that. You can run something like that yourself ofcourse. New updated version of the tool, now called SSACC (SixXS Setup And Configuration Client) will be released next week btw.
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 14 December 2003 18:40:53
I think that new client would be very great, because it has Windows Service support. (or wasn't it implemented yet?) what are the other new features? or will they remain secret till the release?
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 14 December 2003 23:38:42
Service support works perfectly in the internal beta, short outline: ssacc.exe: /? = Help /q = Query service installation state /i = Install service /u = Uninstall service /c = Configure When the service isn't installed it will go into configure mode which is what people have now. When the service is installed it will try to start like that. Ofcourse the service can be start/stopped using the normal net.exe command. It will not show a GUI while running though, then again one doesn't need it anyways. Other features are not listed yet, is there anything particular?
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 17 December 2003 15:28:54
The Service Support feature is already a very great feature. another feature I would like is TINC support, but I guess it is not ready for the consumers. there is no other way of running IPv6 behind a NAT router with only PortMapping (no Protocol Mapping)
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 17 December 2003 17:08:32
There usually is a "DMZ Host" option or similar type of option in the 'router' that can pass thru all the traffic to a single host and ofcourse you can complain to your vendor. Then again you should not be using NAT at all ;)
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 17 December 2003 17:50:29
no NAT at all is impossible (to bad) and I tried the "DMZ Host" option, but it only forwards TCP and UDP traffic I hate those Hardware routers actualy but maby Casema (the ISP) blocks some traffic
Heartbeat Client updates
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 17 December 2003 22:40:55
Complain to your ISP for not giving you internet access then.
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 17 December 2003 23:00:01
Actualy it is the ISP from my GirlFriend, They even't haven't got a static IP, every 4 or 5 days the IP is changes (even with a router that is permanently online) but maby I can find someone else who has IPv6 on Casema Cable internet, and otherwise I need to complain.
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 18 December 2003 18:13:46
I'm using both the static and the heartbeat tunnel using a router. I have a ADSL line with an ethernet modem. I tweaked the modem so it became a NAT router. I do not need to open ports. The only thing i do on the PC with static ip6 tunnel is open a dos box with a ping6 to the ip6 adress of the other side of the tunnel. This makes that the dynamic entry in the NAT table in the router keeps active. Dave.
Heartbeat Client updates
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 29 December 2003 16:08:16
when will the updated version be released? on 14 December your said 1 week, we are 2 weeks further now :?

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker