SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Dynamic IPv4 Tunneling Support Public Beta
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 16 September 2003 20:03:29
We are proud to present a limited Dynamic IPv4 Tunneling Support Public Beta program. First come first serve. If you are interrested in participating send the nichandle you are using at SixXS to info@sixxs.net under the subject of "Dynamic IPv4 Beta Program". In the email note your intended use (dialup, laptop), how much your IP will be changing and ofcourse the OS('s) you are going to use. 1 Dynamic tunnel per account btw unless you really have specific reasons. Current tunnels can also be 'converted' from static to heartbeat tunnels. The functionality should be stable but we want to test it in public over the various POPs to test if it really works in the wild. The client programs along with sourcecode will be released after the beta program has finished and possible bugs have been cleared out. Before anyone asks, this will allow for users having Dynamic non-24/7 IPv4 addresses to make use of the SixXS POPs, it could even be used on static IP's, thus when connectity between the POP and the client is severed the tunnel gets disabled, thus costing you no credits :) Currently supported platforms: - Linux - Free/Open/Net BSD others on request... The Windows client is forthcoming but will also contain autoconfiguration support and a GUI. The clue of the functionality is the heartbeat protocol allowing the POP to detect client IP changes and timeouts of which thus disabling the tunnel on the fly. It still requires a public unfiltered IP address, NAT's are not supported at the moment. Ofcourse all SixXS rules still apply.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 02 October 2003 13:02:15
OpenBSD and MirBSD users: heads up. I have made a port/package for the client, even with some improvements. It should show up at https://MirBSD.BSDadvocacy.org:8890/active/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/sixxs-heartbeat/ this weekend (sorry, no earlier rsync scheduled, I don't have _any_ spare time at all now). I'm running it currently in NON-daemonized mode as a client to supervise (from DJB daemontools; homepage http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html; port at https://MirBSD.BSDadvocacy.org:8890/active/cvsweb.cgi/ports/sysutils/daemontools/ ) and it's working fine since like half an hour now. Greets
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 04 October 2003 12:43:58
Hello all, turns out that something is broke. I've stopped running the client as client to daemontools, and completely de-/reinitialize the interface on dial-in/out now. The code is like follows:
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
MYADDR: add! default HISADDR !bg sh /etc/ppp/ip-up
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown
MYADDR: !bg sh /etc/ppp/ip-down
/etc/ppp/ip-up
ps ax|grep sixxs|grep -v grep|while read pid rest; do kill $pid done ifconfig gif0 up /usr/local/sbin/sixxs-heartbeatd /etc/ppp/heartbeat.conf route add -inet6 default fe80::%gif0 -mtu 1280
/etc/ppp/ip-down
ps ax|grep sixxs|grep -v grep|while read pid rest; do kill $pid done route -n delete -inet6 default ifconfig gif0 deletetunnel down This sets up an "unnumbered tunnel", completely ignoring the fact that the subnet is delegated to the tunnel IP, and using the subnet IP address block exclusively and NOT the tunnel. The subnet's set up like this in:
/etc/hostname.ne3
inet6 2001:768:abcd:1::1 64 inet6 2001:768:abcd:1:: 64 anycast Greets, feedback welcome (mailto:tg@66h.42h.de) //Thorsten
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 04 October 2003 14:35:49
As already said, don't use unnumbered tunnels. Next to that sending a SIGHUP to the client will directly send a heartbeat. You shouldn't have to reconfigure your tunnel either, but because you are using unnumbered tunnels the fe80:: addresses change breaking it.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 04 October 2003 16:18:21
Okay, that makes it clear to me. Thanks for the explanation.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 15 October 2003 01:38:21
As can be read in the news section the Beta is concluded as the service has gone gold. If one still has troubles ofcourse use the normal contact channels. Thanks must go to the people spotting problems.
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 16 October 2003 00:33:29
Nice nice, will there also be an option that allows the current static tunnels to be converted to dynamic tunnels?
Dynamic IPv4 Tunneling
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 16 October 2003 00:49:49
There is no automatic conversion or magic button on the website, but if you currently have a static tunnel and want it to become a dynamic tunnel, then use your email client and check the contact section for the address, mention your nichandle and also what the current IPv4 address for the tunnel is and it will be converted. People who requested a static tunnel should be static so don't require this special feature which only causes overhead. It could be handy in cases of flaky lines and machines that get turned of at night etc though.
Two little questions
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 October 2003 13:52:14
1. Is it posible to compile the source for Windows? I tried but it can't find sys/Socket.h, so I figured I can't compile it. 2. When will there be a Windows client so I can setup IPv6 on a second location where I only got Dynamic IP and Windows?
Two little questions
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 October 2003 14:19:04
1. Is it posible to compile the source for Windows?
I tried but it can't find sys/Socket.h, so I figured I can't compile it.
And it would require a lot of other modifications (WinSock initialization etc) Also it would then still run as a cmdline tool, which is not very handy.
2. When will there be a Windows client so I can setup IPv6 on a second location where I only got Dynamic IP and Windows?
Soon, hoping to finish the internal testing this weekend :) And yes, a nice GUI and autoconfiguration. You only have to enter your NIC-handle and password and then select the tunnel you want to use from the list.
Two little questions
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 October 2003 16:12:48
the features sound very great :D I hope it is finished soon. keep up the good work

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker