SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

linux: ipv4 over ipv6 tunnelling
[gb] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 20 November 2005 00:06:49
Pretty much all in the subject. Anyone got an idea how I could go about doing an IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel under Linux 2.6.x? My situation is that I'm trying to keep the wireless segment of my network 100% IPv6, on the 'wire'. I have been using ptrtd/totd for some time now and been rather happy with it[1] but since I managed to get a few more things working generically on my laptop[2] I'm starting to want some IPv4 action again on the wireless segment. Normally I would simply start routing an IPv4 subnet but I'm being difficult as: 1) it would be nice to keep it 'pure' IPv6, I know...devils in the details :) 2) the IPv6 part is now IPSec AH headered up and nice an secure rather than firing up another IPSec tunnel I would rather use the already authorised IPv6 one 3) I am using a mere 50Mhz sparc32 lunchbox[3] and simply redirectly all IPv4 traffic to my 'protection system'[4] is far neater than using DNAT So, as an academic 'excercise' anyone know how best to do this. I originally was thinking about an IPv6 GRE tunnel that carries that IPv4 traffic but no, the 'ip tunnel' userspace tools do not like the idea of using IPv6 address for the endpoints. I looked at IPIP but got the same problem. My next thought is a IP based PPP tunnel, but thats starting to become overkill. I could not gleen anything from Google/USENET after an hour of punching in search terms. Anyone got a good set of search terms, in case I have lost my Google skills, or any alternative suggestions that might have not occured to me. Cheers in advance for any suggestions. Let me stay 'awkward' and 100% IPv6. :) Alex [1] well except ssh, really noticable with scp, borks with a duff MAC; anyone else getting this? [2] bluetooth headset appearing as an ALSA soundcard device, so teamspeak/skype would be rather nice [3] http://eintr.net/systems/sun/sparcclassic/ [4] http://guacamole.digriz.org.uk:81/
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 November 2005 12:19:11
though i'm not sure if this wasn't better located in ipv6-setup, i'll just give my thoughts on this: you say in sub-note [2] that you'd like to use voice-chat software. while i don't see them being ipv6-compatible in the future, there seems to be quite an effort on voip6, maybe looking at it further could light some options. second, i have seen something like an ipv6-in-ipv6-tunnel kernel-config-directive - while i'm not sure if this leads to success in some form, it might enable the kernel/rt_netlink to accept ipv6 endpoints for GRE-tunnels.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 29 November 2005 13:02:24
Current vanilla Linux kernels don't support IPv6 in IPv6. USAGI does it though afaik. Otherwise you can try tinc, openvpn and a number of other tunneling solutions that don't depend on the kernel.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker