SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 traffic monitoring for debian linux
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 June 2010 16:24:32
Hi, Is there a tool available which counts the IPv6 traffic on a debian linux server? I have set up IPv6 at my server and added AAAA records a few days ago to every domain. So it would be nice to count the IPv6 traffic to see how many users are able to connect via IPv6. Thanks in advance!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 30 June 2010 16:51:44
A lot of tools can do this, it just depends on HOW you want to do it, WHERE and of course more importantly what information you want to see. NFSen/nTop come to mind at the minimum, but that is more because I have a Netflow-ish background, there are many many other tools though, just depends on what you like. If you have a tunnel interface, or a separate interface for IPv6 then you can just check the traffic counters of that interface. Otherwise, enable ip6tables on the host with one or more (accept/log/count/skip) rules and you will at least get counters that way. If you want to see more detail, configure more detailed/specific rules and/or install one of the above tools and start using that.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 July 2010 21:15:50
Thank you for your help! I installed ntop yesterday, which has a very detailed webinterface. I restarted ntop this morning and until now 6.1 MBytes IPv6 Traffic and 29.7 GBytes IPv4 Traffic got transferred. Let's see how this changes in near future.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker