SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Mobile IPv6
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 11 April 2010 13:20:33
Hi, does anyone has experience with mobile IPv6? Is sixxs supporting mIPv6? Or is it possible to change the route for a small part of my subnet to an other tunnel endpoint? My goal is to have the same ip for my laptop at my home network and when I am connected via dial in/public WLAN on travel. Greetings, Martin L.
Mobile IPv6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 April 2010 22:38:20
I may be completely wrong, but as I understand it, SixXS would have nothing to do with whether or not you can use mobile IPv6. Also, I think mobile IPv6 makes your address mobile to other IPv6 networks only, not to IPv4 networks. In other words, you can't take take a piece of your subnet with you to IPv4-only sites with mobiel IPv6 alone. I got a second tunnel (AYIYA, no subnet) for mobile use. I suppose I could connect with the second tunnel and then use mobile IPv6 to keep my home IPv6 address, but it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble for me to try.
Mobile IPv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 13 April 2010 13:04:47
Correct on all counts :) For the rest, there are a couple of Mobile IPv6 links already in this forum. Generally though it is a plaything that one sets up, works where you are, but nowhere else (or at least does not have the benefits it should have). Easiest solution: use an AYIYA tunnel on your laptop, works great even when roaming networks.
Mobile IPv6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 March 2011 16:54:15
What about AYIYA tunnel on your Linux based "smart phone"? -- R;
Mobile IPv6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 December 2011 04:03:05
That could work... I have a Motorola Atrix in which I recently bought the lapdock. The phone obtains the router advertisement address for SIXXS in wifi, which is not a big challenge. However, I rooted it and setting up aiccu and tsp (for gogo net) from the ubuntu repository. I have run AICCU from the phone and it authenticates, the same with tsp. as well, however I am still working to get the connection going. If I manage, I would like to try it on the HSDPA network, but right now, I'm just starting my research being that it fails while building the tunnel connection with tspc and for AICCU, I have to shutdown the connection that I am using at home. I could also like to try to create a shell script to create a Hurricane Electric tunnel and run it through one of those Lazy Administrator shell execution program. The bottom line is that, the device needs to be rooted for this. If you install NeoRouter, NeoRouter provides accessibility to your internal IPv6 network, but it will mostly by virtue of a SSH tunnel, which would not be ideal, but certainly doable. My 2 cents.. Luis
Mobile IPv6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 December 2011 16:04:39
Also in a somewhat related topic. I have a 3G network card for my laptop. I have managed to connect to freenet6 through their TSP client while on the 3G network. It works; actually pretty good. However being that using a network mobile is subject to your location and the abilities of the base station (the tower) that you are connected to, there were times that the connection dropped. I am not familiar with the resilience of TIC vs TSP, but I would not be surprised if the same behavior is shown.
Mobile IPv6
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 20 December 2011 17:05:05
Not quite. TSP is a combined configuration and tunneling protocol. This while for SixXS TIC is the configuration protocol and AYIYA (or heartbeat/proto-41) are the tunneling protocols. They are this similar but behave quite different. There is a huge advantage in AYIYA in that it signs every packet, as such when your local IP address changes, the next packet going out updates it. For TSP that would mean that you need to redo the full TSP negotiation, thus you will be missing several packets being sent before that transaction is complete. As these parameters do not change that is not needed. The only thing that changes is the local IP:port combination. Note that this can also be a port change on the NAT side because the NAT decided to change it, which might quite often happen in a massive NAT environment like a 3G setup. YMMV of course, and as long as things work, that is what you need.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker