SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Auto home router configuration protocol ?
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 03 June 2009 12:26:37
Is there a de facto standard automatically configure a home router (like todays Linksys WRT54G and others) for IPv6 ? That is : - user purchases a home router (wih IPv6 support) - user has IPv6 supporting ISP - user connects the routers WAN port to his uplink (DSL/cable modem or similar) - user connect one or more PCs to the LAN port(s) of the router Desired result: - router sets IPv6 parameters automatically: -- WAN interface address -- default gateway -- DNS server(s) -- LAN interface address - router supplies PCs on LAN automatically with IPv6 parameters: -- IPv6 address -- gateway (the routers LAN address) -- DNS server(s) - things I forgot After a very quick view, it seems there is no way for the ISP to tell the router its assigned address range to use on the LAN. Or does DHCPv6 support that ? Regards, David
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 03 June 2009 12:47:18
DHCP-PD (Prefix Delegation)
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 18 June 2009 20:34:38
The most common solution for hybrid IPv4/IPv6 environments, at the moment, is a combination of DHCPv4 (aka DHCP) and RADV (router advertisement). With RADV the router announces its prefix to the subnet and the computer adds the MAC address to the end. http://www.aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6.html If you have a pure IPv6 network, then you will need DHCPv6, as radv does not announce the address of the DNS server.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 18 June 2009 20:35:48
Forgot to mention the radv is standard in most IPv6 implementations, so it is essentially plug and play. Even Windows 2000 had support for this.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 18 June 2009 21:13:16
So the only way to automatically announce IPv6 DNS addresses is through DHCPv6?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 18 June 2009 21:13:23
No. Can also be done with RA (RFC5006); technically that is, you of course need implementations for it to work. And one could also do it scripted or probably even using Active Directory.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 18 June 2009 21:58:47
Some quick Googleing didn't turn up anything on how to configure this....can anyone point me to a link or something that would help?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 19 June 2009 12:26:01
man 5 radvd.conf Later versions of radvd support rdnss which announces a DNS server. I don't know anything about client support, and I haven't tried this out myself as I never got around to migrating to an IPv6-transport-capable DNS server.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 30 June 2009 17:05:25
I wasn't aware of rdnss. Does any know which current operating systems implements it, either as a server or a client?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 01 July 2009 07:48:29
Well, radvd for linux is a server implementation. I can say from my experience that Vista does not work as an rdnss client (works fine for the RA portion of radvd, though), but a quick Google search shows a unix client.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 January 2010 05:53:47
Actually, both Vista and Windows 7 support RA as clients (most router implementations of RA are based on the Linux/UNIX server implementation); the problem is that neither supports RA as the default (unlike Linux, UNIX, or even earlier versions of Windows). Instead, they default to Teredo (which requires Windows as a server) and other than Windows, I know of no other OS that defaults that way. Windows 7 requires fewer hoops than Vista as an RA client (and no, UAC is not at fault in Vista's case); however, XP requires fewer hoops than Windows 7, and Linux and UNIX mostly require none at all (except for those distributions that turn IPv6 off by default). That is a major advantage to having a router that supports OpenWRT and AYIYA and a router client that can support almost any possible desktop consumer OS under the moon; they can be tested in a semi-live environment.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 07 January 2010 10:53:39
Actually, both Vista and Windows 7 support RA as clients
(most router implementations of RA are based on the Linux/UNIX server
implementation); the problem is that neither supports RA as the default
If I parse your sentence correctly you are stating that Vista and Windows 7 don't do RA per default. That is quite false, unless you are in a Windows Domain and it is globally set to disabled. Vista and Windows 7 both do RA just fine. Heck they even do DHCPv6 if RA tells them to. Now the part that they do not get is the 'rdns' option, aka the setting which tells them where to register their reverse name. Then again, Windows boxes tend to live in a Windows Domain, and Active Directory has secure methods for doing that.
Instead, they default to Teredo
Nonsense. Teredo is a backup mechanism when native IPv6 is not available. Also Teredo has nothing to do with RA.
(which requires Windows as a server)
Teredo does not 'require' windows as a server, it requires a Teredo Server, and there is an open source implementation of that too (google for 'miredo'). And actually Miredo is the most used implementation on the Internet.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 27 January 2010 00:00:03
Perhaps I should clarify. RA and rdnss are separate protocols, but radvd can perform both. All clients I have tried respond to the RA portion of radvd just fine. I can listen to the network and see radvd's rdnss multicasts when configured, but I have not seen a client use the information. There are other rdnss daemons in development, but I have not tried them. I see mention of rdnss client daemons, but I have not tried them, either. Other IPv6-transport DNS server configuration options include DHCPv6, manual configuartion, and setting up DNS servers at site-local addresses defined by Microsoft, although the latter will only automatically work for newer Microsoft clients.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 18 June 2009 20:50:18
The IETF Homegate BOF is specifically going on for this purposes. Most likely, as it has quite some traction, it will become a full WG. Call For Participation:
This is an open call for participation in the new homegate mailing list, which is dedicated to discussing issues relating to broadband home gateway devices. There has been a BoF request submitted relating to this, which you can find at http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/HomeGate%20BoF%20Proposal%20-%20IETF%2075%20-%20v7.pdf . This work is centered on three key themes: (1) work to improve the network experience a home user gets, (2) work to keep home networks secure, and (3) work to bring new functionality to home users. You can find many more details in the PDF document that is referred to above. If this topic is of interest to you, please join our new mailing list at https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homegate. One of our first discussions for the mailing list will be to discuss a problem statement, work on a possible draft charter, and more.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker