SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Request: Porting subnets to other PoPs
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 March 2011 20:18:30
[admin edit: moved to subforum + updated title to reflect content] The possibility to the the /48 IP range when moving to another PoP. I received a that a new PoP has been build in Zurich. But since my tunnel currently goes to nlede01 this would mean get a new /48 when I move to the tunnel in Zurich. I know they /40 or larger address block that are used for the /48 are provided the ISP that hosts the PoP and are therefore semi bound locate, but maybe some smart guy has a solution for this problem. Otherwise I am happy (but I do not know what to do with my ISK at the moment ;-)
SixXS: What can be done better?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 05 November 2010 13:22:57
That is politically impossible as most of the PoPs are run by different ISPs. It is technically possible, but futile, as the prefix won't be announced in global BGP from the PoP (as the ISP running the PoP handles routing), thus the only option would be to put up tunnels between the PoPs, which would just cause your latency to increase as there would be an extra round-trip. The "solution" could be Mobile IPv6, HIP or SHIM6 and other such protocols. ISK is only mostly a stopper from people to request too many things while actually not having anything in use and thus wasting resources. It is also a motivation for people to keep their tunnels active and working and hopefully in use. At a certain point indeed one has too much ISK for it to be useful. We are trying to come up with something that one could 'spend' it on, but we haven't found a good solution for it yet, especially as there is no real counterbalance for it.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker