SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Semi static IP number
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 14:34:08
Many of us have what I would like to call a semi static IP number. Our IP provider gives us a dynamic IP, but it rarely (as in only whenever our system is down for several days) changes. When it changes, you can change the IP number on this web site, but that doesn't work at all. You also have to keep the old script that you got when first you set your tunnel up, and there change your IP number and then run it again, but with your new IP number in it. E.g. rem Windows XP/.Net IPv6 in IPv4 Tunnel Script rem Autogenerated by SixXS Website (http://www.sixxs.net) rem Created at 2012-11-06 00:37:47 netsh interface ipv6 install netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel SixXS <my new IPv4> <my old end IPv4> netsh interface ipv6 add address SixXS <my old IPv6> netsh interface ipv6 add route <my old IPv6> SixXS netsh interface ipv6 add route 0::/0 SixXS netsh firewall set adapter SixXS icmp all=enable As usual, the last command will not work on Win XP, but the rest of it will make your tunnel work once again.
Semi static IP number
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 14:38:13
When it changes, you can change the IP number on this web site, but that doesn't work at all.
Can you elaborate what part of that does not work?
You also have to keep the old script that you got when first you set your tunnel up, and there change your IP number and then run it again, but with your new IP number in it. E.g.
If you have a proto-41 based tunnel you will have to update the endpoints of that tunnel indeed. Unless you configure the system to not have a local endpoint defined so that it can select one automagically.
Semi static IP number
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 15:19:44
Sure I can elaborate. As I said the last time this happened (November last year), just changing the IP number on the web site doesn't make this site able to ping the new end point. For days I get this email reminder that my tunnel isn't working. Once I remembered that I had to change the automatically generated script, and then run it, it worked within less than an hour. All I want to say is, that you should probably add this information to the Wiki.
Semi static IP number
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 06 March 2013 15:39:18
Once I remembered that I had to change the automatically generated script, and then run it, it worked within less than an hour.
If you change the endpoint IPv4 address through the website it should be reflected at the PoP in about 10 minutes. Indeed you still have to reconfigure your local endpoint, that is not something SixXS can do about if you have configured it that way.
All I want to say is, that you should probably add this information to the Wiki.
The Wiki is user-editted, as such, any user can add/change information there.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker