SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Link-local addresses on the tunnel
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 03 November 2008 19:27:27
With v6, I can no longer set an originating IP address in the routing table, instead it uses the nearest address with global scope. If I have a subnet anyway, there is no real point in using routeable addresses on the tunnel, so one could save a /64 here and at the same time allow my router to use its address in the subnet in a sane way.
Link-local addresses on the tunnel
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 04 November 2008 08:28:39
And how does your tunnel then reply that the MTU changes? Oh indeed, you need a global address for that. One thing people seem to forget also with these "don't use /64's on tunnel" kind of remarks is that indeed, that solution might partially work for you, it does not fit all the possible setups out there. Having a /64 on the transit-tunnel and then giving the end-user a /48 works in all cases and makes every body happy. As for selecting the originating IP address, well, you will just have to configure your operating system properly. See the forum for several suggestions for different platforms on how to solve that. Applications that are really dependent on originating IP address tend to be able to be configurable on top of that btw. Postfix for instance does, for the rest I actually don't know many protocols which are really dependent on the source IP, unless you want a pretty remote host name somewhere.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker