SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Request: improve pop selection
[pr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 March 2011 20:11:36
[admin edit: moved to subforum + updated title to reflect content] Improving the "preferred pop selection" form when requesting tunnels. it is not entirely accurate, but it suffices in most cases.
SixXS: What can be done better?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 16 January 2008 20:49:52
Improving it to do exactly what better? Also how is it not accurate?
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 19 January 2008 18:26:27
When I signed up and requested a tunnel a week ago, I was presented with a POP list to select from consisting of two POPs: fihel01 and nlede01. This gave me the impression that other POPs were unavailable for selection. So I selected nlede01 which was the best of these two. My request was approved but changed to sesto01, which is the geographically nearest POP and which also pretty close in the IPv4 Internet. I assume this selection was based on lowest RTT using ping. I am very satisfied with the end result, but I can't help thinking that the initial POP selection was pretty useless. Why present me with only two POPs, excluding the geographically nearest one? You could just as well said that the POP selection was up to the SixXS staff. Bjørn
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 19 January 2008 18:55:12
fihel01 and nlede01 both are only available for a restricted set of subnets. sesto01 is a generally available PoP, but the selection algorithm doesn't return the general ones when there are PoPs available which match directly to the user. As the selection page states, the selection made by the user is mostly a hint, the system will measure latency from all the PoPs and the admin who is approving it can select any PoP from that set. The one that the user selects is giving priority, unless there is a PoP which is much better suited for the user. In all cases, you can always add a specific request for a PoP in the reason field, that is, amongst others, where it is for.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker