SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Request: email before tunnel is noticed to be down
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 March 2011 20:10:48
[admin edit: moved to subforum + updated title to reflect content] An e-mail *before* we get penalized for having a 'down' tunnel. Recently updated firewall rules and forgot to allow icmp echo-request, so when testing the tunnel, traffic in and out worked fine and it wasn't until 4 days later (and was penalized) that I noticed that this was misconfigured.
SixXS: What can be done better?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 03 December 2010 16:53:00
For the web interface: It would be really nice if you could optionally configure it so you get an email when your tunnel goes down for more than a certain amount of time (like 15 minutes). It should probably be off by default, and it would be nice if it was configurable per tunnel. Extra, but nice, would be to be able to adjust the "send me an email after _______[minutes|hours] of downtime" threshold. Why? Two reasons: Make it so people who "set and forget" don't cause problems for users who want to use IPv6, by giving out IPv6 address and then not having a way to the IPv6 internet because their tunnel went down. To help people who are doing their best to keep their tunnel uptime up, but don't realise that their tunnel isn't working. I had the later happen to me. Someone restarted my tunnel server to apply an update, and didn't start AICCU. It took me a day and a half to notice. (It was right in the middle of a week of uptime, too. Grrrr...) ------------------------- For AICCU: I think it would be nice to have an IPv6 traffic graph, which has already been mentioned. You said that would make a lot of extra load for your servers, and recommended instead that the tunnel user could collect this data. What if you made a aiccu feature or plugin that does this on the tunnel user's end? Second, it would be nice if there was an easy way to start aiccu automatically on startup on linux. I don't want to do this with a handmade script, because you aren't supposed to restart aiccu if it stops working until you fix the problem.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 04 December 2010 13:14:55
You should monitor your own tunnel, if your tunnel is down and it is a static tunnel you will get an email and credit reduction, otherwise you won't, your problem. There is a traffic graph for every tunnel, go to the the per-tunnel information page and you will see it. If you want to do it locally there are tons of tools which can do that for you. All distro's deliver a startup script, thus it can start automatically. Now indeed, when you don't have proper connectivity at startup then it won't work, configure it properly and it will. And how do you expect a tool to fix problems for you? Maybe there is something you configured for you, how is that tool to know that you wanted it that way. That is why it simply aborts, then you can fix the problem.
Request: email before tunnel is noticed to be down
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 30 June 2011 06:14:27
Nagios (nagios.org) will monitor the tunnel and send email on unix like systems. As will many other free and commercial products. If you can't run one of these, the dynamic tunnel type does not penalize you.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 13 January 2008 20:47:17
You get an email at the same time that you are penalized. It is not a notification system that you broke something for a few moments. You can of course always check the tunnel statistic pages which will show you if the pop can reach you or not, and you the have two days before it actually starts penalizing you.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 16 January 2008 05:53:04
I'll settle for more reliable PoPs then.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 16 January 2008 09:41:31
Unfortunately, that is not something we have control about and it depends on what is being offered freely and how they are supported :( uschi02 should be the most stable PoP, unfortunately there is a silly kernel-lockup that is not too easily fixed, though we are trying to work around it and keep an eye on the box, sometimes people have to sleep though. Remember also, that you are getting this for free. Which indeed is not an excuse for crappy service though, I wished that the boxes where available better also, which is why the OCCAID PoPs are marked down atm, as some of them are not functioning properly at all. You can always try to bribe an ISP into supplying an extra PoP for their userset and let them show off what can be done of course.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 January 2008 06:34:36
I know, trying not to sound too rude.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 25 February 2008 19:43:24
If a pop is going to be down for a while (days) and there is not already a ticket about it could SixXS staff make a ticket with at least the ETA and close the ticket when the underlying problem is fixed? Hopefully with details of the problem/solution so everybody can learn from it.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 25 February 2008 20:11:28
The problem with those PoPs that are down is that there is no ETA and the problem is simply that they are physically down. Nothing further to say about it. See also the FAQ: PoP's that are marked down

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker