SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

SixXS: What can be done better?
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 22 October 2007 06:28:11
This is just an impression from a month or so ago when I was a new user and signed up for a SixXS tunnel. My intention when signing up was to provide IPv6 access to a small number of computers at my house using a router with a custom OpenWRT firmware. Following the standard process I first established a simple tunnel, in this case to my router and then I had to wait a week until I was able to request a subnet to connect the other computers at the house. I can understand the credit system and even agree with it, but the week pause lost some of the initial excitement and removed the instant gratification factor. This is something I knew before hand, from the SixXS site itself describing the credit system and other people's blogs about setting up a similar configuration - Google is good. I am probably not the typical end user in the sense of using a router with custom firmware, but you asked for feedback. Along the same line and I admit this is probably old IPv4 mentality, but when it came time to request the subnet it almost seemed wasteful to ask for a whole /48 just for a couple of computers at the house when a /64 would do the job. For other reasons, I ended up moving the tunnel endpoint to a personal web site that will make better use of the subnet. Again, just impressions and not complaints. I am very grateful to SixXS and their partners for providing the IPv6 connectivity and supporting services.
SixXS: What can be done better?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 22 October 2007 12:40:32
We recognized that factor already and that is why you can directly get a lot more credits (enough to get a subnet directly) by submitting a Xing or LinkedIN profile or some other reference. See the Credits FAQ. The /48 is a RIR decision which is also forwarded from the IETF. This might at one point become /56's when the RIRs decide that that is the size that sites should get until then you will get a /48.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker