SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Give a subnet
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 10 November 2011 10:53:54
What can be done better...? give a subnet, reply to email etc... waiting for a age now... I thought sixxs was for promoting IPv6, not demotion... Still waiting.... why is this so difficult for giving some addresses while there are gazillion available??? grtnx Michael
Give a subnet
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 10 November 2011 10:57:04
You did notice that this is the forum for suggestions/requests on how SixXS could be made better?
give a subnet
I assume you are talking about Ticket #4486389. The problem is that those PoPs are already providing a significant portion of their allocation for public use, for free, and thus unfortunately they are at the moment unable to provide even more address space.
reply to email etc
We keep full public statistics at Admin, Oper and Staff Statistics, we are as can be seen a small team though and we don't have time to answer and resolve problems 24/7, real work and life also exists. We attempt to reply to every email, not all of them are coherent though, and repeating things won't help. Requests which can be resolved quickly as all details are present are generally handled almost directly. We refer people to the Ticket Tracker, FAQ or Forum when something is already stated there.
I thought sixxs was for promoting IPv6, not demotion...
I really cannot see how we are supposedly 'demoting' IPv6. Can you provide more details?
why is this so difficult for giving some addresses while there are gazillion available???
Because even though the whole address space is 128 bits, the ISPs who actually operate the PoPs generally only have a /32 out of that and SixXS provides /48 subnets out of the /40 blocks we receive from them for each PoP. As such per /40 there are only 256 /48s. Quite a number of PoPs already have multiple /40s in use though, which is thus a significant part of the ISPs address space, which they cannot use for real paying customers as they are providing them for free to the community already. Note that we currently provide over 31000 tunnels and over 40% of them have subnets, making that over 12000 /48s that are in active use.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker