SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

ping own tunnel endpoint from the PoP
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 06 May 2011 12:07:03
Hello, Sorry for second post with the same subject.. not sure what happened to the body of the first one (I think I closed link correctly), so I'll write it again. I think some people would find useful for troubleshooting purposes to be able to ping their own tunnels endpoints from the PoP they are terminated on. Table which lists user's tunnels could contain link. After clicking it user would be provided with output of let say 5 pings against chosen tunnel endpoint (raw output would probably make most sense). It should be really easy one to do, yet at the same time some people could find it very useful. I would imagine it could use already deployed tool Distributed tracerote, simplified or called with fixed source, fixed destination and actually calling ping rather then traceroute. Hope this will post alright now. Could you please close/remove the other post? Regards, Sergiusz
ping own tunnel endpoint from the PoP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 06 May 2011 14:18:18
You can already do this using the distributed traceroute. Still, remember that at the time you are testing it you are keeping the connection 'alive' in the various connection tracking tables on your side of the the tunnel. The moment you don't use it any more these entries expire due to non-use and then when the PoP automatically wants to ping you it will fail. As such, even if the PoP can ping you at that time, an issue like the one I describe above can make ping tests fail completely. For the rest see the FAQ which contains lots of hints and tips on this subject already.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker