SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

possible smaller subnet
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 04 February 2015 01:38:44
Here is an interesting thought. As a home user, I have no need for more than two to four subnets at most (between testing and my divided home and guest networks). I picked up a /48 from he.net but that kinda seems wasteful when the tunnel server might be running out of space. Maybe once a tunnel gets down to the last few subnets, it can be offered as a /56 or something possibly smaller for specified home users. A /56 would allow 65,535 subnets out of the /40 instead of only the normal 256. As it stands, I do not need more than the /64 at this time, so I am not requesting it, but it might be a possibility for home users that might only need a smaller pie. I cannot imagine how a home user would need more than 8 subnets at home. They would have a different tunnel at work. Maybe two subnet definitions say enterprise (/48) and home (/56).
possible smaller subnet
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 04 February 2015 02:01:06
One size fits all. Hence one gets a default /64 and if requested a /48. The SixXS PoPs have thousands of /48s, and if we run out of a /40 we just ask for a new one from the PoP. Hence, no need to start splitting up /48s into smaller prefixes. It is already complicated enough for most people.
possible smaller subnet
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 29 June 2015 19:16:53
I today thought about the same, but would rather do it differently: Provide a /56 or (maybe) a /60 by default to all new tunnels, somehow included in the price. I would never need a /48 subnet, but at least doing some subnetting stuff would be nice. The problem is rather that one needs to apply for a subnet, costing credits. Currently most Internet providers give out (as far as I know) a /56 or (in my case) a /59 subnet, which is usually completely sufficent for private end users. When giving out a /56 by default and a /48 by application, it should not be difficult for most people.
possible smaller subnet
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 29 June 2015 19:27:58
A /48 subnet is a privilege for folks who want to do more. One has to earn that privilege. If one is unable to earn that, then there is likely something afoul with how one manages the tunnel and thus is not worthy of a subnet.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker