SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Allow multiple reverse DNS servers for the price of one
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 22:37:35
We all know having multiple DNS servers is a Good Thing. Unfortunately, it costs 1 credit to add each reverse DNS server, and the way the credit system is structured leads to a strong likelihood of only being able to add a single reverse DNS server after requesting a subnet, until one acquires more credits. I suggest that there be an option to add 3 - 4 reverse DNS servers for the same 1 credit. However, these servers should be required to be properly authoritative for the subnet. There should probably be a "test" link to check if you're set up properly in this scenario. If you submit your request and you any of your provided nameservers are NOT authoritative for the reverse domain within, say, 48 hours (by misconfiguration and not heeding the advice of said "test" link), perhaps deduct something like 5 points. Perhaps also give a one-time bonus of 1 -5 credits after 48 hours if your nameservers have IPv6 glue. (I'd have said this should be part of the requirement, but of course there are unfortunately still registrars out there that either don't let you add IPv6 glue records, or make it very difficult to do so.) This removes the need to wait to have redundant reverse DNS if one proves he or she can set it up properly, and it also reduces the likelihood of people implementing silly workarounds such as creating a glue record with several IPs pointing to multiple different machines, which I consider DNS pollution.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker