SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Browser problem (WinXP client using linux router)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 10 January 2004 23:38:46
Hi, I have setup a linux router with radvd and now I'm having problems accessing ipv6 websites from my windows client with any browser I have installed (IE6, Mozilla FireBird, Opera 7). When entering an IPv6 server address like www.ipv6.sixxs.net Windows pops up a connection window saying it wants to connect to my dialup provider because the server couldn't be reached. The strange thing is routing etc. works perfectly. I even can connect from the command line using "telnet www.ipv6.sixxs.net 80" and I get the website from there. But the browsers seem to have a problem - maybe DNS? But then telnet shouldn't work, too?! I can also ping the windows box from outside or the other way around. Any hints? I don't wanna post all my config files or any dumps here for now... If you have an idea tell me what details are needed and I'll post them. Regards, Wolfgang
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 10 January 2004 23:48:35
Do you have a (http) proxy enabled in the browser?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 11 January 2004 00:11:41
You're damn right... the Internet Explorer had proxy settings to "automatic search for config" - the first option you can select (not the one for a .pac config script of the proxy). Disabling this option solved the problem for IE6. But with Firebird and Opera it's still the same problem :? As the error ("host not found. please check the name and try again") returns very fast, I think it's some dns issue. I already have "files dns dns6" in my /etc/nsswitch.conf on the router for hosts and networks. Perhaps the browsers don't query the dns in the same manner? The default record to look up using dig/nslookup is still "A". Maybe that's the problem? But why does it work with IE6 then? I've also added a ipv6 dns on the windows client. As I said there's no problem to telnet/ping/traceroute ipv6 adresses from cmd. Greets, Wolfgang
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 11 January 2004 00:19:34
Windows* doesn't do IPv6 transport based DNS, it queries the DNS using IPv4. As for "/etc/nsswitch.conf", just like every other problem, please define which OS you are talking about and the versions of the software you are talking about. I know and with me some others too, see the other threads in the forum, that it works perfectly well ;) * = maybe Windows 2003 or a new fancy hotfix can do it, but XP SP1 and lower don't
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 11 January 2004 02:05:30
Sorry for bothering you... the problems with Opera and Firebird are finally solved after upgrading to the latest development builds:-) I thought Opera supported IPv6 since 7.21 and Firebird 0.7 also does, but it seems as if both do not. But there's something else with the nsswitch.conf - perhaps I should better create a new thread? System is Debian Linux 3.0r2 Kernel 2.6.1 running BIND 9.2.3. When I try to switch the order from "files dns dns6" to "files dns6 dns" to force resolving of ipv6 first, I get errors resolving IPv4 adresses as if there was no fallback to "dns" after "dns6" failed... so I'm not sure if that's the right way? Or is that the reason for the "ipv6"-subdomains? Regards, Wolfgang
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 11 January 2004 03:19:09
As far as I know only SuSE supports the "dns6" option. Debian doesn't afaik. Better start checking the sources to verify it.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker