SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Aiccu (Win) resulting in "No ressources" after a while
[de] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Wednesday, 12 March 2008 02:24:26
Running aiccu (GUI; version available on sixxs.net) works fine. But after quite a while of usage connectivity stops. When trying to ping e.g. www.ripe.net I get "No ressources." instead of ping-replies or ping-timeouts. (Says "Keine Ressourcen" on a German Windows here.) Shutting down aiccu brings down the aiccu-interface, starting it again brings it back again successfully and also with working connectivity. Of what ressources kann "aiccu" make Windows run out? Sockets or something? Any idea why and how to prevent it?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 24 May 2009 14:14:19
Hi there, Same problem here when downloading from usenet Windows XP pro service pack 3, using the latest gui version and TAP-Win32 Adapter V8. After restarting the aiccu, all is fine until it stops again. I'm downloading with 1000kB/s. In the past when I did download with lesser speed(300kB/s) the problem did not appear. I hope this info helps. greeting Berkhout
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 29 April 2008 20:53:03
I have the same problem with XP sp2. If you run taskman and click on processes you will see aiccu and maybe other programs using up "handles". You may need to select view/select_columns and check the "handle count" box to see them. I found a wireless config utility was using up the most handles so I kill that task. But aiccu still uses up handles and at around 400,000 network activity for both IPv4 and IPv6 fails. The workaround is to restart aiccu every so often. It's apparently a bug but I'm not sure if it's aiccu or windoze. If I run native IPv6 on the ethernet interface the handles do not increase - it seems to only happen when the aiccu interface is forwarding traffic. Craig
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 05 March 2009 08:33:22
Hi, I have the same problem you describe. I thought it was because I was using the 2 year old GUI version, but I reinstalled the whole bunch with the latest console version and the problem remained. The handle count is rising rapidly when I'm downloading with 500 KB/s, at about 500 handles per second. Then, when it reached about 4.5 million handles, I cannot use my network anymore untill I restart Aiccu. I'm using the current Windows console version of aiccu (2008-03-15), together with the tap901 driver, on Windows XP SP2 (fully updated). Is there any way in which I can make some logs which may be of any use to any of you?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 12 May 2008 16:34:50
What is "quite a while of usage" ? Also, which exact version of AICCU, which version of the TAP driver (if in use), which tunneling method, which OS version etc etc etc etc.... As for running out of handles, it could be anything, if there is a bug somewhere it will trigger of course. Only thing I can come up with though is heartbeat sockets as those get used every once in a while. But they also should be properly closed, at least I never had an issue with the current GUI version of AICCU, which is already a few years old. But please provide details, then we can maybe look into it. Though, I am still hoping to find some spare time and finalize the new GUI version. The console version is already out, the GUI just takes a bit longer to get right.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 April 2009 14:01:34
Hi Jeroen, i have tested the connection coz my line was also disconnected after some time. it was disc after about 3 , 4 hours and i needed to restart sixxs so i count use the ipv6 line again its like the connection to the server was gone and the connection couldn`t refres himeself today i had a message (couldn`t connect to the tic server tic.sixxs.net) maby it is some use for ya. grtz Hennie
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 13 May 2009 19:03:48
i also experience this sometimes, using the latest gui version. i notice it when im using ipv6 and usually downloading something from a news server. but i make better notes from now on when it happens. using windows xp pro sp3, TAP-Win32 Adapter V8. any extra info you need? things to try?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 11 September 2009 23:41:51
I sent an e-mail about this issue a couple of months ago, unaware of this already being discussed in the forums (the page said I had to mail so I didn't search here)... Anyway, here are my findings, hopefully going into enough detail: - Whenever AICCU's handle count reaches about four million (on my machine, YMMV) my system starts to um... well, stops really. I basically can't start new programs, browse web sites, etc. Everything dies until I kill a program (to fire up the task manager) and kill AICCU, then the system returns into a completely usable state. I can start AICCU again, continue downloading or whatever I was doing until the handle count reaches about four million, when... you know this part. - If I execute "ping6 sixxs.net", the ping6 program will send 4 pings to sixxs.net. The handle count goes up by 4. - If I download a file over a fast connection, the handle count goes up fast. If I download a file over a slow connection, the handle count goes up slowly. If I do nothing, the handle count stays the same. I have never seen it decrease. - Whenever the handle count goes up, the memory usage goes up. I tried searching the AICCU source for allocations but they may well be a side effect of a handle allocation or just whatever it is that happens. I have too little knowledge of the Windows API to trace it. - The problem does not seem to occur on Linux, based on the simple fact that I have AICCU running on my server at home, happily crunching away. I never experienced any problems with it, despite the uptime and usage that naturally comes with servers. The only difference may be that my server is using a static tunnel whereas my laptop (running the Windows client) is using AYIYA. Steps to reproduce: - Start AICCU in Windows - Make sure there is no IPv6 traffic going - Start the task manager, select the processes tab and enable the Handles-column in View->Select Columns... if not already enabled. Find the AICCU process and highlight it - ping6 sixxs.net while looking at the handle count going up and never going down My setup: - Windows XP SP2 - TAP-Win32 Adapter V8, version 8.0.0.1, 15-5-2004. Looks like tap801 from the AICCU download page. - AICCU 2006-07-23 GUI and 2008-03-15 console (both affected) - AYIYA I do not really see how the TAP driver can have anything to do with this problem, as closing down AICCU (and certainly not unloading the driver, to my knowledge at least) fixes the problem temporarily. Still, I've seen stranger things happen so I'll give it a try. If it solves the problem, I will post within the hour :)
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 26 April 2010 19:38:25
I can confirm that the problem is not solved in the version I use. Details: Aiccu Version: aiccu-2008-03-15-windows-console TAP Version: tap32-driver-v9 Operating System: Windows 7 Professional System Handles: about 16.7 million!!! Is there more information available about this issue?

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker