SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 Tunnel is not working :-/
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 28 April 2007 20:55:27
Hello everybody! I signed Sixxs already some months ago but then never had time to play with IPv6. I`m new to IPv6 too so I don`t know what`s my problem and that`s why I ask for help. I decided to use a static tunnel and the tunnel got approved. My OS is OpenBSD 4.1 and I did everything like descriped just my user status is "inactive" even I've 10 Credits left. The tunnel so far got configured like descriped in the FAQ and my FW is configured to let IPv6 pass (in and out). What could be the reason that the tunnel does not work at all? I can`t even ping *::1 (I`ve the *::2). I simply get no reply and don`t know why. So I ask you if you may do know what could be the problem. UPDATE: I enabled the tunnel now because somebody pointed out I`ve to set it to "enable" propably. but I still can`t ping6 ::1 During a tcpdump on gif0 I see that the packets get send but I don´t get a answer. Kind regards, Sebastian
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 28 April 2007 20:22:51
The email message you got when the tunnel got approves contains the following sentence:
Please set up this tunnel and make sure you can ping6 the SixXS endpoint within reasonable time (eg, 7 days). We will start monitoring this tunnel as soon as you enable it via the webinterface. We will record any downtime on your side.
Guess what the system wants you to do: go to the webinterface, click on the tunnel details link and then... enable it. It is called "User Disabled" for a reason, you, the user, has it still disabled.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 28 April 2007 20:44:17
Well I activated it and ping`ed the endpoint but I don`t get a answer from the endpoint. I that normal?!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 28 April 2007 20:54:17
Maybe it is time that you start reading the FAQ: My tunnel/subnet doesn't work at once My tunnel doesn't work etc etc etc...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 29 April 2007 09:59:35
That's funny *D I'm german too, and a few days ago I misinterpreted the mail in a similar way. Because of the sequence of the first two sentences it read for me like: 1. Set up your tunnel (within 7 days) -> ping6 the SixXS Endpoint 2. After successfully doing so, you may enable routing on the endpoint by enabling it via webinterface -> tunnel will be monitored. I guess it's the way the sentence is formed. Webinterface refers to monitoring, while it should also refers to ping6. But perhaps this is a problem of a few people who are interpreting too much into a mail and are also native german speakers.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 29 April 2007 22:51:09
Without being offensiv: German is more complex then english that`s why missinterpretings happen. But my tunnel still does NOT work. I get no response from the endpoint ::1 ;-/ ICMP-PING gets send but no answer get received... Any clue why? I followed the Step-by-Step Manual pendantic... I enabled the "tunnel" at the interface and ping`ed the endpoint. And still it does not work :( It confuses me a littlebit. Kind regards, Sebastian
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 30 April 2007 01:13:34
Read the FAQ and also especially "Reporting Problems", your "it does not work" kind of postings really do not contain any information whatsoever for anybody to be able to help you out. Or do you magically assume that people have access to your machine to check it out?
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 30 April 2007 01:48:02
Well not it works.... Didn`t changed anything... it just works now. :) So w00w00 I`m happy :)
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 May 2007 17:12:37
just as a late clue: I've noticed that the pop check the ipv6 tunnel is ok, by pinging inside it (icmpv6) only once in a while, and when they recognize it, then the tunnel is activated, and they start responding. So, perhaps, you were trying while the tunnel was active on your side, but not on the pop side, which for security reason didn't respond at all.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker