SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Mozilla ipv6 support on Win32
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 14 September 2003 00:19:13
www.mozillazine.org reports that the longstandig 'Implement IPv6 support on Win32' bug is resolved. To quote the article: "People who wish to use something other than IE on Windows for IPv6 surfing can now use Mozilla. Bug 175340 has been marked RESOLVED FIXED". Not only Mozilla supports it now, but because of the shared source, Firebird supports ipv6 as well :) Grab a nightly build to see it for yourself.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 14 September 2003 02:12:03
They where forced to finally do this because of the fact that even Opera did it and at that time Mozilla was the loooooseerrr because IE has been doing it for over 3 years now. Glad they fixed that. They can't seem to stay at one design for their website apparently. It works btw, now they need to fix their render engine })
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 14 September 2003 14:38:00
I don't think the mozilla developers care THAT much about IPv6 on win32. Still, few sites have IPv6. As far as i know the bug wasn't even on the list for the 1.5 branche. But i agree that it's a good thing that's working now :) [offtopic] What's wrong with Mozilla's render-engine (Gecko)? [/offtopic]
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 14 September 2003 17:05:31
I don't think the mozilla developers care THAT much about IPv6 on win32.
Still, few sites have IPv6.
As far as i know the bug wasn't even on the list for the 1.5 branche.
The bug was listed but was marked as difficult because Windows has multi-stack IPv6, just like OpenBSD has and current NetBSD and FreeBSD's now also have. It might just be because of those last changes that they finally fixed it.
[offtopic] What's wrong with Mozilla's render-engine (Gecko)? [/offtopic]
Check this site (the one you are looking at) in IE and check it in Mozilla and you will notice the differences in rendering. Even a simple thing as the mainpage doesn't render correcly, the bottom-border is missing in Mozilla (0.6.1+ nightly 20030913) and Opera (7.20 beta) :(
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 24 September 2003 12:47:07
I wasnt able to view pages using ipv6 with Opera 7.20beta but today I am writing this using Opera 7.20final. Bottom-border is still missing.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 24 September 2003 19:46:34
Hmm, what bottom border are you all talking about? The footer and the border look the same here in Mozilla (2003091510) and IE (6). Kind regards Lars
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 24 September 2003 22:04:00
On the index page
OT: Mozilla rendering
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 26 September 2003 14:57:06
Ah, now I see. *That* little line. Since the page validates just fine with the w3 validator, it seems to be a bug in mozilla. Have you checked if a bug report has been filed in mozilla's bugzilla? Kind regards Lars
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 26 September 2003 19:38:14
2 years ago if it wasn't longer? :) It's quite odd that Opera does the same thing btw. But IE renders it nevertheless and that is actually all I care about }) And indeed it validates both HTML and CSS, the code could be cleaner somewhat but alas.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 27 September 2003 18:55:37
Out of curiosity, I've filled a bug in bugzilla http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=220470 It got resolved pretty quickly as invalid with this comment: "That's because the DIV holding the content on that page is set to height 100px, and the actual content is larger than 100px tall. IE has a bug where it treats a height declaration as a minimum suggestion, and not as an absolute value as the spec defines it." If you change the height to 140px, you'll get the border in Mozilla as well. Kind regards Lars
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 30 September 2003 13:43:39
Upgraded the page to XHTML 1.1 now and removed the height tag from that page also solving the problem. What I wonder about is if they use it as an absolute value why isn't the bottom border drawn then, or do they draw it under the suddenly 140px, which was absolute, high div? in other words it bugs ;)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 01 April 2009 15:50:41
The bugs might (note: might, I did not research this) occur because the SixXS pages are delivered as text/html while stating to be XHTML. Modern browsers, however (and unlike those validators out there) determine the page's content type (HTML/XHTML, especially) by the Content-Type header. According to the W3C, XHTML 1.1 MUST be delivered as application/xhtml+xml (XHTML 1.0 SHOULD). Browsers seeing text/html will parse the pages as HTML 4. (You'll run into nice problems with Internet Explorer when delivering as application/xhtml+xml, but that's another matter altogether ;-)) --Jannis A. Schnitzer.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 02 April 2009 16:50:07
Pages now get delivered with application/xhtml+xml for (Firefox|AppleWebKit|Opera). Tested this on Safari 3.2, Safari 4.528.16 (fresh and really fast), Chrome 1.0.154.53, Opera 9.64 and Firefox 3.0.8; these seem to work. Everything else gets the old Content-Type back. I didn't see a difference in rendering yet though.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 03 April 2009 13:31:10
Better solution as per XHTML Media Types - Second Edition : 3. Recommended Media Type Usage, we now return the page based on the explicit presence of "application/xhtml+xml" in the HTTP Accept header. MSIE uses */* and thus gets the normal text/html back. Several pages have been found and reported to be broken now, these have been fixed, if any others that are not XHTML 1.1 Strict compliant are found, don't hesitate to notify webmaster@sixxs.net.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker