SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

aiccu: Cannot find device "sixxs"
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 May 2011 08:18:01
I setup my V-Server 3 weeks ago, including IPv6 connectivity with a static tunnel and aiccu. This morning, my website is down. eh? Ok, apache s down. why? cannot bind to address? OK, aiccu is not running, so the IPv6 ip-based vhosts dont run. After trying to restart aiccu, this appears: root@serv1:~# /etc/init.d/aiccu start * Starting SixXS Automatic IPv6 Connectivity Client Utility (aiccu)... Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" Cannot find device "sixxs" ...done. And he is correct. No device sixxs here. After looking into the syslog, i found out my ISP restarted the server yesterday at 16:00, since then the tunnel is down.. Please give me some hints where i can searh whats is wring (and eventually blame the isp)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 07 May 2011 10:28:08
Depending on the tunnel type (as you didn't give any information to what that might be nor the verbose mode, we'll have to guess) and depending on the operating system (something you didn't mention either) you either need a 'sit' or 'gif' device for Linux or BSD for proto-41, or a tun/tap device for AYIYA. If those don't exist, then there is nothing AICCU can do.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 May 2011 16:19:36
tunnel type - where it is defined? aiccu conf?
# Protocol and server to use for setting up the tunnel (defaults: none) protocol tic server tic.sixxs.net # Interface names to use (default: aiccu) # ipv6_interface is the name of the interface that will be used as a tunnel interface. # On *BSD the ipv6_interface should be set to gifX (eg gif0) for proto-41 tunnels # or tunX (eg tun0) for AYIYA tunnels. ipv6_interface sixxs
this is the "default" config of my aiccu package (20070115-01)
root@serv1:~# aiccu version AICCU 2007.01.15-console-linux by Jeroen Massar
Kernel: root@serv
1:~# uname -r 2.6.32-305-ec2
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS My "sixxs" interface was automatically created, I cant tell something about it.. What is making me suspicious is, that it work until yesterday over some restarts of the server, of aiccu. So I cannot believe its the restart what is causing problems. I believe my isp changed something. Hope that helps you to help me ;)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 07 May 2011 16:23:53
tunnel type - where it is defined? aiccu conf?
The webinterface can tell you, it can be AYIYA, static or heartbeat. The first requires tun/tap the latter two require a proto-41 interface, thus sit or gif depending on the operating system.
What is making me suspicious is, that it work until yesterday over some
restarts of the server, of aiccu. So I cannot believe its the restart
what is causing problems. I believe my isp changed something.
I would ask your ISP and while doing that ask them why they reboot your server for you without asking you, ask them why they change environment without asking you and of course when they will be providing native IPv6.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 May 2011 16:56:07
In the first sentence, I told you I use a static tunnel. Anyway - I solved the problem. Your hint that there is a verbose mode with a closer look at the config file gave me the hint to configure verbose and have a look at the syslog: password is wrong. I changed the password of the web-interface 2 weeks ago and set the Tunnel-Tic password the the old one and didn't change the aiccu-config-file. It worked for almost 2 weeks (and I'm pretty sure over some reboots) until today. After changing username to DSA1-SIXXS/T12345 (whatever..) solved the problem! My ISP is really cheap, so I don't expect very much. It is not a root-server, just a vserver. It comes for 5/month, so you get wat you pay. Nevertheless, they souldn't have rebooted my server without notice. It's a good idea to ask for IPv6 connectivity, I will do that. Thanks!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 07 May 2011 17:30:00
With a static tunnel one can simply use /etc/network/interfaces to configure the tunnel, saves even having to have a password in the first place. let alone having to run AICCU which will just exit anyway in this case. And that is why I missed out on the 'static' word as it does not make sense to use AICCU in that case. See 'man 5 network' for the exact details.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker