SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

counting webpage users with ipv6-problems
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 March 2011 09:00:42
I'm looking for some way to determine if an user coming to our website with ipv4 would have problems with us adding an aaaa-record to the site. I believe there are 3 states possible: A: Users system is not ipv6-aware, uses ipv4 just fine B: Users system is ipv6-ready, uses ipv6 just fine C: Users system is ipv6-aware, but due to limitations/errors hangs on dual-stacked adresses. The percentage of C is important, as I've been running dual stack for some time, but am worried if we have lost customers on that reason. So currently main adress is back to ipv4 only.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 March 2011 17:51:23
Since such users would never reach your site I don't see any way that you could detect them other than by surveying your users. However, it is not established that a real problem exists. Heise.de, for example, has been running dual-stack since September with no reported difficulties.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 March 2011 20:54:06
Heise has an article (in German) with 3 recipies (using an image file, CSS, or JavaScript) to warn users of possible problems before going dual-stack. The trick is always to load a page with the warning from an IPv4 server and then to use an element loaded from a dual-stack server to hide the warning. On this page (German) they present their activities leading up to going dual-stack: For one month before 2010-09-16 they announced a feedback email address for problem reports (requested info in case of problems). On 2010-09-16 they went dual-stack for one day. After some days of evaluation they permanently switched to dual-stack on 2010-09-29. These are their results:
At 1 million page hits per day they got 5 mails reporting a problem. 2 could be resolved by restarting the router/Windows PC 2 were internet problems unrelated to IPv6 1 LAN station was misconfigured to advertise IPv6 services, which prevented a MAC OS X computer to reach heise.de.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker