SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Active Directory/windows File sharing
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 28 August 2005 10:18:36
Hi to all! I'm working on my master thesis with the subject "migrating small business networks to ipv6" and at the very moment i'm stuck. my lab consists of several debian sarge servers and one, w2k3 server witch supplies active directory and file sharing. my problem is: i don't know how to enable ipv6 support for both of the services. concerning ad: - is it possible? (those people at microsoft make me sick with their ".. in windows 2003 server the ipv6 stack is fully supported ..." thing.. there'S no resource (or i didn't find it in the last weeks) telling my HOW to configure AD on w2k3. please help concerning file sharing: my w2k3 has file shares and I'm not able to access them in the windows explorer using \\computer6.my.domain\share (<-- i was told this would work); but it doesn't. the error message is (translated by me): file could not be found, check spelling, ... is there anything to configure here? i always thougt (before i started my work here) that, when i have ipv6 enabled on my windows pc, the services like file sharing can decide to use ipv4 or ipv6 (when running dual stack) if u have ANY idea, or homepage u'd recommend or whatever, please tell me!! I'm desperate thanks in advance! sylvia!
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 16 September 2005 00:18:49
As far as I know, windows server 2003 by default has a very restricting firewall enabled for ipv6 connections. The problem may be with this firewall dropping all packets bound for your win2k3 server. Have you tried looking into the "netsh" command ? it is supposed to configure and show all network-related settings from the command line (cmd). See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0305.mspx excerpt to disable ipv6-firewall: netsh interface ipv6 set interface interface=NameOrIndex firewall=enabled disabled Good luck with your thesis ! I am also very interested in seeing samba getting support for ipv6 connections. There is a patch for the (now ancient) 2.2.5 version of samba at http://www.litech.org/samba/ but I would not recommand using that very very old version of samba.
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 29 September 2005 20:43:12
first of all thank u for your reply and sorry for the delay .. (i couldn't work on the problem some time because i caught the flu) first i tried the disabling of the ipv6 firewall which didn't make it better.. i still cant connect via windows explorer with following string: \\wiggum6.sylvia.test\daten (someone told me u need to have the fqdn here and the share name) .. so i wanted to ask u: do u have file sharing via ipv6 up and running? because i'm pretty stuck right now - no hint works and i dont see the problem. i checked firewall settings (netsh-thing u told me, the icf is off, i have two w2k3 servers without sp1 so as far as i know i dont have the classic windows-firewall, i dont even have an additional personal firewall, the rights should be set correctly because i can access the shares via ipv4) i dont really know where to look for the problem. doing nmap on the file server shows me that pt. 445 on ipv6 is not open. could this be the source of the problem? best wishes sylvia
[gb] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 30 September 2005 22:50:46
As for the Samba side of things you will probably find the following answer what you need to know: http://www.litech.org/samba/ Bad news, I guess for you. As M$ do not supply file sharing IPv6 support the Samba team are not IPv6 enabling their end. No one is beating M$ for it so its not going to work. Sorry to break the news to you Cheers
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 01 October 2005 13:59:22
All nice and well but that site is from 2002. Every XP SP2 and .Net box already has an IPv6 enabled SMB when the IPv6 stack is enabled. Also see: the MS IPv6 Forum Indeed don't forget to block 135-139 + 445 in your firewall for both IPv4 and IPv6 if you don't want anybody snooping ;) Windows Firewall does this per default btw.
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 03 October 2005 14:54:54
hi jeroen! thanks for your answer but i havent managed to get this working. may i ask u some questions more detailled: 1) in the link my problem is described but i can't find a solution for it.. so what do u do when u get the system error 53? i can see some traffic on the net after i added the fileserver address to the lmhost file (never thought i would need that again) and i see that my client tries to connect to a port > 1000 on the server but gets an RST,ACK bit back; because the port changes every time i cant do portproxying. 2) i have set up another w2k3 server with which i tried to connect as well but giving me a system error as well: this time its number 1231. idont see any traffic in the ethereal sniff. 3) may i ask u: do u use site-local addresses for file sharing??? i use global addresses. (i read sometimes something like "windows is capable of filesharing with site-local addresses) -- if this is true, how do u derive a site local address manually - i know usually u get them automatically through the network prefix but i am using dhcpv6 (i guess dhcpv6 doestn like sitelocal addresses a lot - i dont get them automatically; besides that i thought site-local will be depreciated soon thanks a lot for your help.. i'm pretty stuck by now.. thanks again! best wishes, sylvia

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker