SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Youtube Speed
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 24 October 2010 19:42:40
Hi guys! I'm new to IPv6 and tested Youtube via IPv6. I recognized that speeds are very low. Sometimes I can't watch a video on 360p resolution without buffering. My internet connection is 25/1 Mbit Cable. My PoP is dedus01/Germany. I'm also using the sixxs dns cache. Are these low speeds "normal" using a ipv6 tunnel broker? Greets Daniel
Youtube Speed
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 24 October 2010 22:45:22
How "slow" is it, any more details than "it is slow" ?
# wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/Contents-amd64.gz --2010-10-24 22:44:41-- ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/Contents-amd64.gz => `Contents-amd64.gz' Resolving ftp.debian.org... 2001:610:1908:a000::149:226, 130.89.149.226 Connecting to ftp.debian.org|2001:610:1908:a000::149:226|:21... connected. Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in! ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done. ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD (1) /debian/dists/sid ... done. ==> SIZE Contents-amd64.gz ... 18439811 ==> EPSV ... done. ==> RETR Contents-amd64.gz ... done. Length: 18439811 (18M) (unauthoritative) 100%[==========================================================================================>] 18,439,811 4.30M/s in 4.7s 2010-10-24 22:44:46 (3.72 MB/s) - `Contents-amd64.gz' saved [18439811]
Looks fast enough to me....
Youtube Speed
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 25 October 2010 09:01:37
Thanks for your answer. On Youtube the speed is about 300 KB/s. Sometimes it's a bit (about 500 KB/s) faster. On the file you downloaded, I receive about 1 MB/s. Maybe it has something to do with den MTU-Settings Sixxs.net/home?
Youtube Speed
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 25 October 2010 10:08:28
There are a LOT of factors which can all be combined into: - Tunneling overhead: protocol-41 loses 20 bytes per packet, AYIYA quite a bit more, see the FAQ for the details. - MTU: larger packets means you will be able to send more data per packet and thus might improve speed quite a bit. - QoS on the path between your endpoint and the PoP: anywhere somebody might decide to de-prioritize packets in the networks because they think it is not important it enough. - CPU load, if you are using AYIYA packets are being signed and thus that has some overhead which on slower CPUs might cause a bottleneck. - The path between you then to the PoP over IPv4 and then to the IP you are communicating with over IPv6 might not be fully speed or might be overloaded. - (and lots of other factors which I can't come up with now ;) This is all why native IPv6 is a good thing to have, ask your ISP about it today, and again tomorrow and the day after that too till they get annoyed and get you native IPv6. Every support call costs them on average 75US (according to some survey ;) so go at it!
Youtube Speed
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 25 October 2010 11:13:55
thank you for your detailed answer. Yes, I'm using AYIYA, maybe this is the problem. But I can't find any option in my D-Link DIR-300's webinterface to passthrough protocol 41. Quadcore CPU shouldn't be the problem. Adjusting MTU didn't bring the speed-up. So I have to wait for native IPv6 support. :/
Youtube Speed
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 04 November 2010 23:30:38
So I have to wait for native IPv6 support. :/
If you just wait it may take a while.. I would rather suggest to go Jeroen's way.. keep asking, be their annoying customer who demand IPv6 now.. Once the message from you finally reaches engineers they may actually be able to give you native IPv6 straight away.. For the time being you may try to check latency on IPv4 to other PoPs nearby. Make a little research using ping & traceroute during off-peak and peak hours. If you find there is a PoP with lower latency and shorter path from you then try moving your tunnel to it and see if it is any better. If you really want to have some networking fun try to find if any of the PoPs nearby have public looking glass. If so then use it to check latency and paths to Google/Youtube. This would allow you to make even more educated choice of the PoP. Keep in mind that moving tunnels cost credits, so you may actually want to run your current tunnel stable for a while to gain some credits to play with. Best of luck in finding your wider path to Youtube! Regards, Sergiusz

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker