SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 April 2003 11:26:55
since I have been 'involved' with IPv6 and the translation from 4 to 6 and the troubles it brings with it I was wondering the following (I might be wrong, since I didn't had the time to study all the internals of these protocols). What about a library that takes over the ipv4/ipv6/ipx etc part of socket programming? Thus daemons could just open a socket and not have to wurry about wich protocols are available at the system? This could make the step from IPv4 to IPv6 much easyer. Now I don't have a clue wether or not this might be possible, but the idear just popped into me :)
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 April 2003 14:44:07
This is already available :) The "new" functions getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo() are protocol independent. Check this page for more info: http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 12 April 2003 20:41:14
the link you posted was pretty neat, but what I meant was going further than only IPv4/IPv6. I'd like it to also involve IPX and maybe other protocol used by older computers. But I am not sure socket programming is the same on top of all these protcols. I've seen that Linux supports strange things like DECnet and stuff like AppleTalk. My idear was to create a library that opens a listening socket for all these protocols (if available) with the effort of opening up a port with IPv4. But again I am not sure this actually is possible and if protocols like DECnet and AppleTalk work on the same layer as IP does and how you can program 'on top' of them.
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 14 April 2003 15:28:18
You could take a look at WinSock (yep Windows) which does allow one to open IPX, AppleTalk and many other protocols with the same API. But making it 'transparent' is somewhat to not done because address resolution is very different for the bunch and they have a complete different philosophy and some don't even have the notion of streams. Just stick to IP, afaik there is not much new development for DECnet/AppleTalk/IPX anymore. Even Novell moved most if not all of their products to IP, though not IPv6 yet... Next to Itojun's article, another interesting read is Porting applications to IPv6 by Eva M. Castro. Then we have the Solaris IPv6 porting guide and the old Tru64 unix Network Programmer's Guide These should cover most porting problems and otherwise shoot (questions not bullets ;)
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 15 April 2003 21:52:03
ghehe, ok. :) I get the point and I will take a look at the stuff you posted. The reason I wanted to try to support those old protocols, is because at the UVIS (a computer-club) at the Hogerschool van Utrecht we have some old DECstations and MicroVAX-es. I wanted to try to make them talk with a linux-pc. They also have some AppleTalk hardware afaik. :)
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 16 April 2003 19:20:42
They both can do TCP/IP so why bother with the rest ;) If nobody touched them then they still should be operational, then again they are bound to be peeped up by somebody.
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 April 2003 10:46:59
offtopic: we got 2 'brand new' HP9000's with HPUX on it yesterday from some hospital. They both share the same 4G SCSI Diskstation. The baby's weigh 200 KG all together. We are likely to get more, but I question we want em, since the 5 (where we have one of now) need 16A, maybe more. *D and I assume you were once a member? :)
IPv4/IPv6 etc library
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 24 April 2003 11:33:55
I deny every allegation.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker