SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Netflix/Chromecast does not like tunnels.
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 June 2016 22:20:55
I have a tunnel running on a separate Linux notebook, supplying ipv6 to my home network. It is not the default ipv4 gateway. I can see Netflix on my TV and my android, but my Chromecast on other TV, Netflix say I should disable my proxy, and Netflix support say it's because I'm using an ipv6 tunnel not from my provider. So how can I disable ipv6 on the Chromecast? Are there some settings on the Chromecast itself? Or should I somehow block the Chromecast from getting an ipv6 from the Linux tunnel provider?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 16 June 2016 12:19:13
See amongst others also this NANOG thread. And of course the FAQ: What about geolocation? How does a content provider where my endpoint is?.
Netflix support say it's because I'm using an ipv6 tunnel not from my provider.
While you should not be asking for an IPv6 tunnel, you should be asking for an IPv6 connection from your ISP. Did you Call Your ISP for IPv6? IPv6 tunnels are a transition technology. Streaming content over the PoPs is a rather bad abuse of bandwidth anyway. You can do that perfectly fine over IPv4. There is nothing in streaming that you are testing IPv6 or trying to transition to IPv6.
So how can I disable ipv6 on the Chromecast?
Put these kind of devices in a separate network (VLAN). Then do not provide IPv6 there for the time being. Yes, geo restrictions are stupid, especially as you are paying them for the service with a credit card from a certain country, and have given your address for that same country. Do not blame Netflix for this stance, blame the people who have abused IPv6 tunnels to circumvent geo-restrictions and more importantly the content industry who clearly does not want you to pay for the content, but get it some other way....
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 17 June 2016 00:16:49
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Did you Call Your ISP for IPv6?
I get my internet over the air with a 4G-router; does any provider give IPv6 on 4G?
Streaming content over the PoPs is a rather bad abuse of bandwidth anyway. You can do that perfectly fine over IPv4. There is nothing in streaming that you are testing IPv6 or trying to transition to IPv6.
I'd rather not stream over the tunnel; the other TV uses IPv4 only. My phone, even if it also can access the tunnel over WiFi, streams netflix over IPv4.
> So how can I disable ipv6 on the Chromecast? Put these kind of devices in a separate network (VLAN). Then do not provide IPv6 there for the time being.
The chromecast (and the other TV) is connecting over WiFi; I don't think I can do VLAN, but I can filter the mac of the chromecast from the linux running the tunnel.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 02 July 2016 11:55:06
Did you Call Your ISP for IPv6?
I get my internet over the air with a 4G-router; does any provider give IPv6 on 4G?
Don't ask us.... Call Your ISP for IPv6. We do not know what the ISPs in your neighbourhood offer you, nor do we hold any kind of power over them. And as long as you do not call, they do not know that people actually want that feature and they will claim nobody asks for it and you will never get it. Just like the last 20 years have gone on.
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 July 2016 19:10:50
Leif Neland wrote:
In Sweden there are plenty of providers who give out IPv6 on mobile networks, for example Tele2. That said, it is not impossible to get IPv6 via 4G :) http://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/SE
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 February 2017 21:11:33
I found this solution: up ip -6 route add unreachable 2a01:578:3::/48 This prevents IPv6 to netflix servers You may need to adapt according to your location www.netflix.com is an alias for www.geo.netflix.com. www.geo.netflix.com is an alias for www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com. www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com has IPv6 address 2a01:578:3::36ab:2214 www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com has IPv6 address 2a01:578:3::364d:c542 ...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 16 February 2017 10:30:08
Netflix content is apparently delivered through quite a few more hosts. Those hosts are only for their frontend, not for their content. There are quite a few people who have been trying to find the exact list, either filtering by prefix (which will have collateral damage, as Amazon is also involved), or by filtering on DNS. Easier is just to not give IPv6 to the device that does your Netflix IPv6. VLANs are an amazingly handy tool.
Netflix/Chromecast does not like tunnels. Private
[dk] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 17 February 2017 08:08:19
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Netflix content is apparently delivered through quite a few more hosts. Those hosts are only for their frontend, not for their content.
But it is the frontend which does the geoblocking. Back when VPN was working, I could VPN to US, start a movie, tear down the VPN, and the streaming continued from the cache around the corner at my ISP even when the movie was not on my local Netflix menu I haven't checked, but I assume (especially as my IPv6 is on a slower link than my IPv4), that netflix chooses the nearest, best connected content delivery source, that the content does not go over the tunnel. The smart way for the Netflix apps would be to say "Oh, IPv6 is on a tunnel, let me try IPv4", instead of just grumbling and denying me the content.
Easier is just to not give IPv6 to the device that does your Netflix IPv6. VLANs are an amazingly handy tool.
A separate VLAN for the Chromecast would prevent me from controlling it from the app on my phone, I think; besides VLAN's are beyond the abilities of my switch. I have tried firewalling the macaddress of the Chromecast from the machine running aiccu, but I failed to see any effect. Currently, blocking IPv6 access to the frontend seems to be enough.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker