SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Setting up SixXS on Windows 10?
[au] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 02 February 2016 13:10:58
Ok I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to set this up on Windows 10. I swear setting up on Windows is more troublesome than Linux. With Linux that's very easy to setup and get running with. OK Issue: Trying to install tap-driver-32_64 drivers, but Windows is throwing errors, as is usually always does, because it's Windows. Giving error saying "This program might not of been installed correctly, try installing with compatibility settings?" obviously I click no, because that makes no difference half the time, if not, most of the time, and yes I have tried, it still made no difference. tapinstall.exe fails to install it, even tried from command prompt and even says so from there. What is the step-by-step process of making this work on Windows 10? just FYI: I did read the setting up page (https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ossetup&os=windows) but it literally makes no sense nor does it help with getting setup because the commands don't work. Obviously this command snippet here doesn't work for Windows 10, because command doesn't exist. C:\> netsh interface ipv6 install This part here confuses me and I tried this already, but what does it mean by requiring IPv4 Endpoint here? I can only see this being used for web servers, but I don't have a web server. C:\> netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel SixXS [Your IPv4 Endpoint] [PoP IPv4 Endpoint] I could try entering my own local IP in there but it returns an error, again obviously. I don't ever remember seeing Linux setup being this difficult, but Windows setup here is just bull-malarkey with more complicated way of setting up.
Setting up SixXS on Windows 10?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 02 February 2016 16:05:49
Trying to install tap-driver-32_64 drivers, but Windows is throwing errors, as is usually always does, because it's Windows.
No it is throwing errors as Windows is a product that gets upgraded and the 32_64 edition is build against an older SDK. Instead use the one from OpenVPN, at: https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/tap-windows-9.21.1.exe That one is Windows 10 aware.
What is the step-by-step process of making this work on Windows 10? just FYI: I did read the setting up page (https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ossetup&os=windows)
Those instructions are for older versions of Windows. In 20 years of IPv6, things have changed, IPv6 is default now for instance.
This part here confuses me and I tried this already, but what does it mean by requiring IPv4 Endpoint here? I can only see this being used for web servers, but I don't have a web server.
If you are confusing that with a webserver, then you are definitely not understanding the details there. Also more likely you are behind a NAT and thus you require an AYIYA tunnel which cannot be set up with those details.
I could try entering my own local IP in there but it returns an error, again obviously.
As you say 'local IP', you are indeed meaning you are behind a NAT.
I don't ever remember seeing Linux setup being this difficult, but Windows setup here is just bull-malarkey with more complicated way of setting up.
Windows is a end-user system, it is not directly meant for routing. And actually Windows is not difficult to configure for this, if you understand how things really work and what everything means, but the same goes for Linux and any other platform.
Setting up SixXS on Windows 10? Private
[au] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 03 February 2016 09:08:06
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Trying to install tap-driver-32_64 drivers, but Windows is throwing errors, as is usually always does, because it's Windows. No it is throwing errors as Windows is a product that gets upgraded and the 32_64 edition is build against an older SDK. Instead use the one from OpenVPN, at: https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/releases/tap-windows-9.21.1.exe That one is Windows 10 aware.
What is the step-by-step process of making this work on Windows 10? just FYI: I did read the setting up page (https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ossetup&os=windows)
Those instructions are for older versions of Windows. In 20 years of IPv6, things have changed, IPv6 is default now for instance.
This part here confuses me and I tried this already, but what does it mean by requiring IPv4 Endpoint here? I can only see this being used for web servers, but I don't have a web server.
If you are confusing that with a webserver, then you are definitely not understanding the details there. Also more likely you are behind a NAT and thus you require an AYIYA tunnel which cannot be set up with those details.
I could try entering my own local IP in there but it returns an error, again obviously.
As you say 'local IP', you are indeed meaning you are behind a NAT.
I don't ever remember seeing Linux setup being this difficult, but Windows setup here is just bull-malarkey with more complicated way of setting up.
Windows is a end-user system, it is not directly meant for routing. And actually Windows is not difficult to configure for this, if you understand how things really work and what everything means, but the same goes for Linux and any other platform.
1. That's stupid the documentation and instructions hasn't been updated. 2. Having to download that from somewhere else is inconvenient 3. Changed how so? 4. I am understanding it perfectly fine. 5. "local IP" either being my networking router's IP range within 192.168.1.x, or instead whether to use the external public IP. 6. Windows is always difficult to configure stuff the way you want or need it to be, whether it's an end-user system or not. Doing anything on Windows is far more tedious than any other system I've known. Always have to jump through several hoops before you get the result that you want, and make up workarounds.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker