SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

One name server, two glue records (A and AAAA)
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 18 April 2015 14:34:37
Hi, I would like to create two glue records (A and AAAA) for my name server, the first pointing to its IPv4 address and the second pointing to its IPv6 address. Example of the expected end result (glue records of sixxs.net): $ dig NS sixxs.net @b.gtld-servers.net ... ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION: ns.paphosting.net. 172800 IN AAAA 2001:7b8:3:47:20d:b9ff:fe14:70d4 ns.paphosting.net. 172800 IN A 213.154.229.21 ... As you can see, the same hostname (ns.paphosting.net) is used in both glue records. I've tried to configure my glue records like this with two registrars (name.com and OVH), but I always get an error message (e.g. "A Host Object With That Hostname Already Exists"). I'm starting to wonder whether this configuration is illegal or just too uncommon to support by the registrars. Have you ever come across this issue? How do you configure the glue records of your domain names? Thanks! Regards Radim
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 18 April 2015 16:13:52
Your registrar should allow both A + AAAA to be registered for the same hostname. If they do not allow that, complain and or change registrar. Joker works like a charm, and we hear really good things too about GKG.net See the FAQ for a list of registrars that are IPv6 and DNSSEC capable.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 26 April 2015 06:05:03
Thanks for your registrar recommendations. I will check them out! I've got an update from name.com support. It turns out they allow to have both A and AAAA to be registered for the same name server, but it's not exactly obvious how to do that in their UI. I'm copying their answer here in case somebody else has the same problem:
Thank you for contacting name.com. I see that you were able to add ns0.opencube.space so that if you are trying to create the same servers again but with an IPv6 address, it will fail. Instead, you can use the blue 'edit' button to the right of the server to add the IPv6 address into the add field that appears. You can then create ns1.opencube.space and do the same with it. I apologize for any confusion you may have experienced. If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
OVH have been quite unhelpful with this issue so far. It is difficult to get through to somebody who knows what a glue record is.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker