SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

AICCU does not reestablish the tunnel after resuming from sleep on Mac OS X
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 21 October 2014 10:22:16
Hi, I have setup a tunnel endpoint on my macbook (this enables me IPv6 connectivity in any network the notebook is in, for example in my German university network). The tunnel is managed by aiccu. Now, my problem is that instead of shutting down the macbook after every usage, I just close the lid which brings the computer into a sleep state and when I open the lid again it resumes at the point before closing. aiccu seems to not handle this situation well as it won't reestablish the tunnel after resuming and reconnecting to a network. The configuration of the network interfaces survives the resume but it appears that aiccu won't reconnect to the PoP via IPv4. This looks like a problem to me, which could have been discussed at an earlier point, but my Google-skills failed me to find a good workaround for this. Maybe, it's just not the targeted environment for aiccu and a SixXS tunnel, because it imposes a greater load in the TIC servers, because the tunnel connection is more unstable. aiccu is installed via homebrew. My current workaround is to just restart the launchd service. # launchtl unload <path-to-service> # launchtl load <path-to-service>
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 21 October 2014 11:37:02
aiccu seems to not handle this situation well as it won't reestablish the tunnel after resuming and reconnecting to a network
Any technical details on this? Note that there is no need for AICCU to do any kind of 'reestablish' or 'reconnection' as it is just sending and receiving packets.
Maybe, it's just not the targeted environment for aiccu and a SixXS tunnel,
AICCU is fully intended, with the help of heartbeat and AYIYA (for behind NAT) to work in dynamic IP and not-always-online situations.
because it imposes a greater load in the TIC servers
The TIC servers should rarely be queried, only when AICCU starts. After that as long as AICCU runs, it will never ask them again. And it does not need too either.
because the tunnel connection is more unstable.
Please elaborate what "tunnel connection is more unstable", what do you mean?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 October 2014 05:36:05
> aiccu seems to not handle this situation well as it won't reestablish the tunnel after resuming and reconnecting to a network Any technical details on this?
Unfortunately, I don't have any evidence other than traffic 'just not getting through'. I have enabled verbose logging in the config file, but I can't find any log messages in the 'Console' logging app on OS X after resuming from suspend. It looks to me that aiccu just resumes normal operation like before suspending. I'll try to start aiccu directly via shell and see.
Note that there is no need for AICCU to do any kind of 'reestablish' or 'reconnection' as it is just sending and receiving packets.
That's true, I'll investigate further.
> because it imposes a greater load in the TIC servers The TIC servers should rarely be queried, only when AICCU starts. After that as long as AICCU runs, it will never ask them again. And it does not need too either.
When I set up aiccu on this macbook I had trouble with routing and restarted aiccu a couple of times and quickly ran into a rate limit on the TIC server.
> because the tunnel connection is more unstable. Please elaborate what "tunnel connection is more unstable", what do you mean?
I mean that for my typical usage I work on the macbook for 10-30 minutes at a time and then suspend it and some times resume 5-10 minutes later (thank god for quick SSD based storage ;) ). So it constantly has to reconnect to wireless network and might change its IPv4 address. Based on that I thought that aiccu has to reestablish the tunnel more than when I have it running on my router at home. Now that I'm thinking about more thoroughly about this issue I think that aiccu can handle the situation I described in my original posting. I'll look more into log messages and packet dumps and see what the real issue is. Thank you for your quick response!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 22 October 2014 10:10:26
When I set up aiccu on this macbook I had trouble with routing and restarted aiccu a couple of times and quickly ran into a rate limit on the TIC server.
The system actively discourage restarting as it should never be needed. Doing a lot of restarts indicates that something is broken and that one should find the proper solution to the proper. Just restarting AICCU does not resolve any of these issues. Hence, provide details, without them, your problem won't be resolved.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 October 2014 10:45:08
> When I set up aiccu on this macbook I had trouble with routing and restarted aiccu a couple of times and quickly ran into a rate limit on the TIC server. The system actively discourage restarting as it should never be needed. Doing a lot of restarts indicates that something is broken and that one should find the proper solution to the proper. Just restarting AICCU does not resolve any of these issues. Hence, provide details, without them, your problem won't be resolved.
I resolved these routing issues. It was just that I had to reload the configuration a couple of times (while trying to find out why it was broken), because I had to change individual options.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker