SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Script to check POP status
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 19 November 2013 09:03:33
Hello, I made a short script on my server to check the POP status. This PHP script runs every half hour and read the http://www.sixxs.net/pops/itgate/ page to check if the POP is up. Lately it gets the message HTTP/1.1 402 Payment Required. I think that checking the page every 30 minutes doesn't break any policy. Could you please remove this protection? Otherwise can you tell me how many times I can check the page? Thank you very much, Giovanni
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 19 November 2013 09:14:59
I made a short script on my server to check the POP status.
We already publish PoP status through various ways (website, twitter, irc etc), why do you need another method and why do you think that polling our website has any merit whatsoever? What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I think that checking the page every 30 minutes doesn't break any policy.
Could you please remove this protection?
We do not allow polling our website. There is no need for you to monitor OUR infrastructure, we already monitor everything and can take action when something is not correct. There are already way too many pollers and other robots harvesting data uselessly and wasting resources.
Otherwise can you tell me how many times I can check the page?
You can look at the pages manually, that is with a non-automated browser check our webpages with your eyes.
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 19 November 2013 10:46:48
Jeroen Massar wrote:
What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I didn't want to upset anyone and I'm sorry if this caused a problem to you. The problem was that sometime ago the Italian POP was often down. My script simply sends me an email if it is down so I can turn the aiccu service down and avoid excessive latency trying to go ip6 when the POP isn't available. In the future I will check your Twitter account (which I didn't know). Thanks for your time. I really appreciate what you are doing.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 19 November 2013 11:01:34
The problem was that sometime ago the Italian POP was often down.
How does polling our website resolve that problem?
My script simply sends me an email if it is down so I can turn the aiccu service down and avoid excessive
latency trying to go ip6 when the POP isn't available.
Your OS will take care of not using a route when packets are not going there. And instead of disabling AICCU one could otherwise just remove the default route.
In the future I will check your Twitter account (which I didn't know).
It is very clearly stated on the page that you where polling...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker